Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tedson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I bought a stock I5 model on Black Friday. I now see that I can get a veterans discount on a BTO I7 for 10% off normal price. I can get an I7/8GB/256GB for $1169 + tax instead of the $1099 for the I5/8GB/256GB + tax normal price. Do you think the upgrade in CPU is worth the hassle to returning it then ordering a new BTO model?

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
If it's not too much of a hassle to exchange it I would definitely do it for $70... then again I would have bought the i7 to begin with.

tedson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
If it's not too much of a hassle to exchange it I would definitely do it for $70... then again I would have bought the i7 to begin with.
Yeh, I probably should have but I just found out about the veterans discount today and the BTO I7 was $200 more and 10-14 days delivery and I wanted instant gratification on Black Friday.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Yeh, I probably should have but I just found out about the veterans discount today and the BTO I7 was $200 more and 10-14 days delivery and I wanted instant gratification on Black Friday.
You got a great deal on it so congrats on your new Mini purchase. If that time has passed you should be good with the new i5... I was just expressing my personal preference. :D

tedson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I'm still in the extended return window until sometime in January. The biggest issue would be the wait between returning the I5 and getting the BTO I7. I would have to go back exclusively to using my 2011 Mac Mini during the exchange period.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Not to point out the obvious, but you can return the i5 and get the 10% discount on it as well, correct? So that would be $989 vs $1169. I mean, yes, technically you are only out $70 more than you originally paid, but you are also leaving $110 on the table.

That said, I would probably go i7 because why not? It is the top end and seems to be a good performing right at the top of the Mac lineup, and if you already were planning to spend the $1099 and don't need the money, you may as well.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
I'm still in the extended return window until sometime in January. The biggest issue would be the wait between returning the I5 and getting the BTO I7. I would have to go back exclusively to using my 2011 Mac Mini during the exchange period.
There is an extended return window? With no penalties? I was under the impression that the user had 14 days from the date of purchase and that's it...

I was tossing back and forth the idea to exchange my i5/8GB/256GB model for the same thing but with an i7, but figured since I was outside the window of opportunity I was out of luck (I'm 15 days from purchase). But if there is a policy I am unaware of that would allow me to exchange it with no penalties after this window, I just may do this.

tedson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
There is an extended return window? With no penalties? I was under the impression that the user had 14 days from the date of purchase and that's it...

I was tossing back and forth the idea to exchange my i5/8GB/256GB model for the same thing but with an i7, but figured since I was outside the window of opportunity I was out of luck (I'm 15 days from purchase). But if there is a policy I am unaware of that would allow me to exchange it with no penalties after this window, I just may do this.

U.S. Returns & Refunds Policy

Holiday Return Policy

Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between November 14, 2018 and 25 December 2018, may be returned through 8 January 2019. Please note that all other terms and conditions provided in the Apple Online Store Sales and Refunds Policy are still applicable with respect to such items purchased. All purchases made after December 25, 2018 are subject to the Standard Return Policy.
https://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

I bought my Mac mini on November 23.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
U.S. Returns & Refunds Policy

Holiday Return Policy

Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between November 14, 2018 and 25 December 2018, may be returned through 8 January 2019. Please note that all other terms and conditions provided in the Apple Online Store Sales and Refunds Policy are still applicable with respect to such items purchased. All purchases made after December 25, 2018 are subject to the Standard Return Policy.
https://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

I bought my Mac mini on November 23.
Online store only? There's no mention of in-store purchases, which is where I bought mine.

tedson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Online store only? There's no mention of in-store purchases, which is where I bought mine.
I'm pretty sure the Apple Store in-store purchases are the same. 3rd parties like Best Buy, etc are different.

dmsea1

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2018
Go i7, for sure. Worth the little bit of time to wait for your new machine, you won't regret it.

KennethS

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
UK
Other than the inconvenience of a short wait for the i7-specced mini, I don't see how you will ever regret swapping. However, if you keep the i5 version, if it were me, there would always be a nagging in my mind of why didn't I swap for the i7.

Reactions: Suzatlarge
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.