Trading-in clarifications

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iamrawr, Mar 8, 2013.

1. iamrawr macrumors 6502

Apr 16, 2010
    New Jersey
    so i'm looking to trade in my iphone 4 for a 4s. i'm concerned with how the trade-in process works for things like gazelle or nextworth. so you get a quote... what's next? do you ship it to them and then wait for the money; so then i won't be having a phone for about a week?

i'm considering that i'd rather go to a local Bestbuy or my carrier's store to trade it in (if what i said above is the case), but am i able to swap a 4 for a 4S in-store right away? my carrier is AT&T and i currently have a black 16GB.
  2. Weaselboy, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

Weaselboy Moderator

Staff Member

Jan 23, 2005
    I have used Gazelle a few times.

You go to their site and sign up then describe your item and they offer XX price. If you accept that they will email you a prepaid label to use with your own box, or if you prefer they will mail you a box with a prepaid label.

Then you ship the package off. When they receive it, they open and inspect. If the condition matches what you described they mail you a check or Paypal you the money. You will get an email when they receive the package and another when they have sent your payment.

My experience has been it take 3-4 days for them to get the package, and about 2-3 days after that get my Paypal payment.

So yes, you will be without a phone a few days if you go this route.

You can make more money on eBay or Craigslist, but with more risk/hassle IMO. I have been happy with my Gazelle transactions.

A friend did in store iPhone trade in at a Verizon store, and as I recall it was not horrible amount less that Gazelle was offering.