Trading in iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CastilloC, Apr 19, 2010.

1. CastilloC macrumors newbie

As the iPhone was my first phone I have ever had, (and no I'm not that young: 17) I'm new to this whole trading in thing. I've seen my friends trade in their phones for new ones every year with varying companies. Does AT&T allow you to trade in your iPhone for the newest one? I have a 3GS and I'm planning on getting the 4G/whatever it's called (who knows if AT&T will have 4G by then) in the summer. Will I at least be able to get a discount?

2. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

You don't actually trade in an old phone, at least not the last time I checked. You can sell it and use the proceeds for a new phone, but the only thing you'll get from a carrier is a discount if your contract indicates that you're eligible for a discount. Last year that meant your contract was or almost was expired or if you were the primary user of an account and your bill was more than $100 a month.

3. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Seeing that you have a 3GS, you are probably stuck in a 2 year contract with AT&T. To my knowledge, AT&T doesn't buy iPhones... but what you could do is sell your 3GS on eBay for $300+ and buy the 4G iPhone from an AT&T store (which will probably cost more than $200 since your contract has not ended)

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your friends trade in their cellphones for new ones?
    What company does that?
    Maybe they sell them and buy new ones or trade them on CL or buy and sell on ebay.

5. RichL macrumors 6502

A lot of companies do this. My gf's family gets new cellphones yearly.