Trading in old phone and using Apple upgrade plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brfitzp, Sep 27, 2015.

1. brfitzp macrumors newbie

So I was wondering, could I trade in my old iPhone 6 64gb and then do the upgrade program from Apple at a discounted rate?

Has anyone done this or something similar?

2. awests macrumors regular

When I went in for the iPhone upgrade program, they offered to take my old phone through the recycling program. I'm not sure you could apply that credit toward the iPhone upgrade program because I think they give you an apple gift card for the value of your trade in.

3. Whtchdr macrumors regular

They will accept your trade, but you would be much better off to sell it on your own using Swappa, Craiglist, or some other avenue. Use the proceeds to pay off a good part of the balance on your new phone.

4. brfitzp thread starter macrumors newbie

So how would that work? Say I pay 400 up front and do the upgrade program, would it just cover the payments for 8 or 9 months? Would I continue paying the regular bill but just be ahead?

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

6. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

I've heard they give you actual cash credit, which is new. They certainly used to only give you an Apple gift card. But I still think you can get a better deal elsewhere. I've always used Amazon, but I buy a lot of Amazon stuff, so it makes sense. :)

The AUP is separate, and the loan would still be for the usual whole amount.

7. THE BG 86 macrumors regular

I traded in my 6 plus and was offered 375.00 either on a Apple Store gift card or as a credit to a credit card of my choosing which I opted to do.

8. Whtchdr macrumors regular

Should be able to get at least $600 for a 6 Plus in good condition. I sold mine on Ebay for that much. Certainly more work to sell on your own, but a better payoff. To each their own though.

9. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

I did this yesterday. They just credited the trade in value to my credit card. They won't reduce monthly payments if that's what you're looking for.

10. THE BG 86 macrumors regular

Yeah totally agree. Normally sell through Craigslist but just didn't feel like dealing with it this year.