Trading in older iPhone AFTER iPhone X preorder?

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I paid full price for an iPhone X preorder and my card has already been charged.

Once I get the new phone, would it be possible to trade in my old phone (an iPhone 7 Plus) and receive a refund (total from the trade-in amount) toward my iPhone X transaction?

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I was actually wondering this too. I originally wanted to trade in my iPhone 6 Plus towards the purchase of my iPhone X, but as far as the Apple offer is concerned, it's only doled out in the form of a gift card.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I was actually wondering this too. I originally wanted to trade in my iPhone 6 Plus towards the purchase of my iPhone X, but as far as the Apple offer is concerned, it's only doled out in the form of a gift card.
I'm hoping they could simply do a quick "return" that results in chargeback of the trade-in value.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
My guess is that Apple gives you a gift card that can't be used to pay for the pre-ordered X. I'm planning to trade-in my 6S+ to Verizon. They are offering me $40 more than Apple and you can use the gift card to pay future wireless bills. I did that when I got my 6+ and Verizon was offering $200 to trade-in my old iPhone 4.