Trading Macs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Erdnase, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Erdnase macrumors newbie

I couldn't find the perfect place to put this thread, so I put it in here.

I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro and am interested in swapping it with someone for a 21.5 inch iMac and buying an iPad.

Since both my MBP and the entry level 21.5 inch iMac have 500gb hard drives, would I be able to put my current hard drive in the iMac, and have the other person put his hard drive in my MBP? Would there be problems with this, or would it work without trouble?

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance.

2. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Depends on what kind of hard drive is in the iMac. Laptop drives tend to be smaller (I know when looking for a hard drive I have to find a notebook hard drive). I could see maybe the imac using a notebook sized drive to save space so maybe (you also have to make sure they use the same connection, I would think so since Apple made both but I couldn't be sure).

really, what fits in your computer has nothing to do with how many gigs the hard drive has. I replaced my 80 gig in my 3 year old macbook with a 250 gig (Apple didn't even offer the option of getting it new with a hard drive that big).

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The iMac uses a 3.5" hard drive. The MBP uses a 2.5" hard drive. Thus they are physically incompatible with each other.

4. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

and even if they were same hard drives you'd probably run into a driver issue if you swapped them out, just clone your drives onto something else and call it a day