Trading my 15" MacBook Pro to a smaller Blackbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by okayjustin, Nov 17, 2009.

1. okayjustin macrumors member

Whats up macrumors. thanks for all your help in advance before I say anything!

so what's going on with me is that I have a
    15" macbook pro (matte, 120gb, 2gram, 2.16ghz)
    I looked it up on mac2sell.com and it's worth $970 (apx I guess)

i'm looking to trade it for a

13" macbook black (2.2ghz, 4gram, 160gb hd)
    i looked that too and it's worth about $810

the thing is, i like to use my daw logic. how do i transfer my application/license to this other computer if i was to trade? and is this a good trade considering that my current computer is supposedly worth more? i'm doing it because of the extra ram (since mine only maxes at 3gb) and bigger hd (i'm short on cash so i'm just looking for a quick fix instead of getting external right now for other things on my hd). and longer battery life too since i'm always at school and we all know how hard it is to find an outlet at a community college library. what do you guys think? :confused:

2. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

For 900+ dollars you can get a 2.4Ghz latest generation black MacBook. I think it's a good trade considering yours is the 1st generation MBP?

Do remind that the Macbook is only 13". But that shouldn't be a problem if you hooked it up with external monitor.

Hope it helps.

3. Knisis macrumors newbie

Be careful, if you went through with that, you'd end up with a few downgrades too.:

15" to 13" screen
    You'll get some crappy Intel GFX I believe.

I would honestly say that if you're budget constrained, get the new White unibody Macbook. $999 for a 7 hour battery life (for your college), 250Gb hd, 2 gb ram, etc. Plus you'll get the Nvidia 9400m which is a good mobile companion and reduces lag from simple video playback :)
    Or try a refurbished model, they're usually just as good.

Also, keep in mind that mac2sell gives a value based on how long you've had it, not on what people will pay for it. If your MBP is old, it is likely not worth that much to people, so selling it probably won't get you much :(

4. toxicdrift macrumors member

+1 sell yours and get a refurb mbp / 13's come for 999$ which is a much better buy imho

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sell it and get a refurb or the white macbook for 999. Check out the black friday offerings from bestbuy and other places where you can buy a macbook.

The intel integrated gpu is dreadful, there's no way I'd want to use that again.

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If you have a Microcenter near you the new white macbook is $999 with an additional Visa gift card worth $200 so you really only pay $799, however, the deal is in-store only.

Cheers,

7. okayjustin thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies so far.

i never heard of microcenter but i looked it up and there's one near me. that's a nice rebate with the visa! i'd have to find a buyer for my computer right now though and find a way to the extra cash for it.. hm, but maybe worth the investment if i really think about it. or are the macbooks/pros going to be updated soon?

8. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

They are most likely going to be updated on Early 2010.