Trading // Online Broker Setup on a MBP ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlexMaximus, Mar 7, 2011.

1. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

I would like to know if anybody here at the forum uses his Mac Book Pro for trading and/or online brokerage in order to buy/sell stocks, options and futures.

Anybody here to give me some advice? I would love to hear any experience you have. I am about to jump into the "bandwagon" and start to manage my stuff all by my self.
    Since I will have many windows open at the same time and have real time charts getting hit every second, I am sure it will need lots of hardware resources. I got a MacBook Pro 17, 2010 model with the hybrid seagate and 4 Gig of ram.

#1 Do you think I should go for 8 gig and/or the new Intel SSD 510 to be save?

#2 In the long run I will go for apple's cineama display. Would you go with the new 27 or should I go with the older 30' model to have more space for charts and windows.

Thanks in advance

2. Terry Norton macrumors member

Terry Norton

I trade using Interactive Brokers. From one account you can trade stocks, bonds, futures, options, etc. I personally trade on U.S. and Canadian exchanges only. I have traded futures in the past, but don't much anymore. Rates are great, too.

The actual trading screen on the computer is Java based. Been using it for years and it works darn good. You can also open more than one account at a time if you have more than one.

Now, having said all that, I trade on my iMac (2007) still since my MBP hasn't arrived yet. I will be switching everything to the MBP.

#1: I only have 4 gig gig my iMac plus run a slough of other apps at the same time. The trading screens and charts aren't resource intensive.

#2: I'll be connecting to a 27" ACD, which I already received. I presently use a 24" TV as a second monitor which is where I have all the trading windows running, and my main screen for all the other apps I'm running.

3. doogz macrumors newbie

Before making any sort of recommendation, what exactly are you going to be trading and for what sort of timeframe? Are you going to automate any strategies?

I'd stick with what you have and get some experience before going out and buying equipment. If you're running out of resources with what you're doing and it's affecting your profitability then by all means upgrade. Trust me, I love the sight of a nice 8 screen setup but it means absolutely nothing without the P&L backing it up.