Trading PC Laptop for MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rhopper, Sep 14, 2008.

1. rhopper macrumors newbie

I am a web designer and ive read and heard that a mac is great for this, better than a pc. I just purchased a pretty decent laptop just a few months ago but now Im thinking I want a mac. 1) Im concerned about moving to a new system I dont know much about and 2) would anybody happen to know how I would go about trading my laptop for a macbook?

I currently have a Toshiba Satellite x205 its great for gaming and such but i want something smaller and more portable and mainly for media and not so much gaming. I payed $1500 for this laptop just a few months ago so where would I go to either post a trade ad up or something? I dont want to put it on ebay or amazon b/c I need a replacement asap for work/school etc..

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Well if this is your "Ad", don't count on it. If you want the mac go for it, you won't regret it at all.

3. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

no its not my ad, Im just wondering if somebody knew of some good "laptop trading forums" or something where I can post an ad, and see if anybody wants to trade..

i found a guy on craigs list who has this
    http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/apple-macbook-core-2/4505-3121_7-32148808.html?tag=mncol;lst he said he bought it in march 07 it isnt up to the same specs as my laptop but do you think its a fair trade or should I ask him to sweeten the pot (e.g. toss in a couple hundred bucks or something)

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you're trading, use Craigslis otherwise you'll have a hard time. Post an ad, and you'll get a few replies.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

This is a very, very poor place to post an ad for a used PC. No one here would want it. Used PCs don't hold their resale value like Macs do. You pay $1500 for it, then the day after you get it home it becomes something that not many people (including you it seems) want. Macs on the other hand do hold their resale value a bit longer.

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I agree with the guy above me. I hope you get a decent price, but I doubt you will get anywhere near what you want. It is a PC.

7. jorgeireyes macrumors newbie

Which are good websites for trading in a PC for an Apple? I have powerhouse Dell laptop which I'm looking to trade.

8. m1stake macrumors 68000

The smartest thing would be to sell it for, you know, money. :p

Craigslist.com and Ebay.com are both good places to do business.

9. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

tell me if this is a fair trade or not.

this guy is offering his macbook
    2.0 Ghz intel core duo
    Black
    4mb shared L2 Cache
    677MHz system bus
    1gb RAM, supports up to 2gb
    120gb
    dual layer dvd+/- rw
    13.3in display
    firewire
    2 usb2.0
    wifi
    remote

plus a case and a bluetooth keyboard

is this a fair deal for me?

10. m1stake macrumors 68000

You didn't provide you actual specs. :)

Also, ask them why they want to trade it. It could save you a lot of trouble.

11. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I think if you were to sell your PC, you might get around $1000 for it. That Black Macbook on the other hand I think still sells for a little bit more. You said he's also include other accessories so that might be a good deal in your favor. Ask him if he has all the original accessories and box and stuff like that.

12. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

13. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm i see you're right, on amazon its going for $1600 so its a pretty good deal.. and to upgrade the HDD and to 2gb RAM will only run me about $130-$150 which isnt too bad. I think I may go for this.. the only thing that sucks is its a 13in display and Im used to a 17in widescreen.. so Im losing 5 inches of visability... but I guess thats OK since I plan to get a docking station and use 2 flastscreen monitors ;)

14. m1stake macrumors 68000

That's about as close as you'll get I guess. Not bad :eek:

15. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Why not just outright sell it on eBay or Craig's List, then find a MacBook you want used? Or even better get an Apple Store Refurb? A guy here at work just got a refurb 2.1Ghz MB and the thing is pristine. I know you said you needed it right away, but you'll get a far better deal this way.

Here's a 2.4Ghz:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB403LL/A

16. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

thats all fine and dandy (and a great deal to be honest) but its a matter of selling my PC laptop for even remotely close to what I paid for it brand new 4 months ago.. I payed $1500.. Im willing to part with it for $1100 easy.. but nobody wants to pay that.

17. jwflutterby macrumors regular

I'd vote for using CraigList over eBay, just be sure you get a good look at what you are getting before you hand over your laptop... The first thing I tried to sell on eBay was a laptop and it was ugly... You get people asking if you'll ship to Nigeria, my first sale got cancelled and removed because supposedly the winning bidder'd had their ID stolen... Then I got others wanting me to ship to "alternate" addresses since they were out of town on business...

I agree about Win laptops not holding value too... I just sold my Vista HP laptop a couple weeks ago to get a MBA... I paid like $1500 for it with a 2 year protection plan about a year ago... The remaining year on the plan was fully transferable to the new owner and I was still only able to get $700 for it even though it was in mint condition... ick..

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No.