Trading up for Macbook.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jlizard27, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Jlizard27 macrumors newbie

This may sound like I'm trying to trade a computer for a Macbook, but I'm not, so I'm sorry if I mislead you.

I have been looking to buy a Refurb Macbook for the apple site, and everything seems in order about buying it. But my question is about how much I could get for selling my old laptop.

It is a old 2002 Powerbook G4. 800mhz processor with 30 gig HD and 512mb ram. The problem with it is that both the hinges are broken, and as it would take around $600 from a local store to fix, I figured I just go a and buy a newer model. As I said, both the hinges are broken, so it is more like a desktop. I have heard of people making devices to prop the laptop up, but I don't have the patience. Other than the stationary problem, my computer works perfectly fine. I even played World of Warcraft for 6 months on this computer with absoulutely no problems.

Now that you know all the specs, going back to my original question, how much do you think I could get for my computer?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm going to take a wild guess and say $100. Without a screen, it's just a really thin, but crappy desktop. There are lots of crappy Mac desktops that go for hundreds, but they'd all be normal desktops and be much faster than yours.

3. Jlizard27 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it has a perfectly working screen, but the hinges are broken. It is propped up against a desk right now. If it didn't have a screen, how do you think I would be typing this right now?

4. Nyaos macrumors newbie

Just because it's 6 years old, and the hinges are busted (making it not much of a portable) I'd seriously say about 100 dollars... technology really loses value fast.