Trading up iPhone 6 to 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by warburg, Nov 1, 2016.

1. warburg macrumors 6502

According to the Apple web site, one can trade in an old phone when trading up. An iPhone 6 should receive $200 credit on a trade up and a Six Plus should receive $225. My wife and I both ordered new phones online, she bought an iPhone 7 and I bought a 7 Plus. She received hers about two weeks before I got mine. When we had our new phones, we brought them to the Apple Store on Miami Beach along with our old iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Nobody there seemed to have any knowledge about the trade-up policy. The manager phoned Apple and was told that were were no longer eligible because my wife's phone (although not activated) was over two weeks old. I was not eligible because my phone had been sent from China more than two weeks ago, although I had received it only four days previously, and it also had not been activated.

Does anyone know how this crazy policy is supposed to work

2. itsray macrumors 6502

I thought you had to do it at the same time, or bring in your phone for a credit before you get the new one. at least thats what i remember reading. also, i know the managers at the Lincoln rd store where you went. They know their stuff. maybe they were just confused because you already received your phone and usually people trade in their phones and they get an apple gift card and they use it to purchase a new one. your case wasn't the usual. you should try to call apple care.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah you wouldnt do the trade up process weeks after you bought your phones.
    You do the trade in process before you buy or during purchase and find out details and so on.

4. itsray macrumors 6502

I believe the only thing you can do as of now is 1. try to trade in your phones with your provider and see if they give you a credit on your account. 2. trade in your phones for an apple store gift card. or 3. sell them on your own on craigslist, eBay, swappa, or one of those sites.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sell them on swappa, you will get more than the trade in value for sure.

6. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502

I was told by an Apple representative (on the phone) that we could bring our old phones in for the trade-up after we received our new ones. I suppose there was something wrong with this advice.

If we had brought the old iPhones to the store before we received the new ones and received credit or gift cards, wouldn't we have been without phones for quite a while?

7. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I'm pretty sure that you should have went to your local Apple Store and do everything at that time (trade in your 6 and then purchase the 7, as long as they had the model you want in stock). It could also be that the store you went to is misinformed. Is there another Apple Store near you that you could go to?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/trade-up/