Trading Verizon iPhone 5 - is there any way I can get scammed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by troy14, Sep 25, 2012.

1. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. I purchased a black iPhone 5 64gb for Verizon because white wasn't available at the time, and while I'm happy I would much rather have white. Just for the heck of it I found someone on Craigslist who wanted to trade his white 64gb for my black one.

My concern is there any way he could scam or rip me off? One issue that comes to mind is if he has insurance and reported the phone stolen, would they deactivate mine and send him a new one? Is that possible? Any way to protect myself?

I bought it from a Verizon store so returning it would incur a $35 restocking fee and used my brothers upgrade so all sorts of headaches would ensure.

Any insight is appreciated!

2. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Just do the swap at a Verizon store and ask them any questions you may have.

3. brandct macrumors member

This is great advice. If he would not do this then I would not do the switch.

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

This is my advice. Would you rather loose $35 or the total cost of your trade if he did scam you. See if Verizon would give you a complimentary trade as a long term customer of theirs. Otherwise, I'd pay the $35 to give me that assurance.

If you decide to move forward with the trade, if he scams you, I guess you can get even and report yours stolen.

5. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Might be able to do it for free at the apple store.

6. D33170 macrumors newbie

You'll be really lucky to even find an available white iPhone 5 to trade in a verizon store before your 14 day return/exchange window. I'm actually looking to trade my white 32gb for a black 32gb in sf.. No luck yet as all verizon stores are sold out most likely until mid Oct. smh

7. Illwill5404 macrumors newbie

Hi I'm trying to Trade my white iPhone 5 64. For black iPhone 5 64 . I would trade you. Phone is brand-new never been used. Everything is legit on my end. Willing to help you out if you can help me out.

8. trevorlc macrumors member

I just sold my 4S on craigslist list, met the guy at a local Verizon store and they confirmed the phone was free and clear for him so he knew it was safe. As the seller I was happy to do so as I had nothing to hide and I knew it was clear.

9. taedouni macrumors 65816

That's the exact same thing I did.

10. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

I deal on Craigslist quite a bit. I ALWAYS meet the Person at the phone store to have them check it and also let the buyer check mine. I learned that the hard way a few years ago when I bought a stolen phone. (Long story), but if they won't agree to do that I wouldn't deal with them. Just my two cents

11. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I always do this with Verizon phones and I would advise AT&T customers too from now on since they also blacklist phones. You want to make sure everything is clear

12. rflick macrumors newbie

Yes, Verizon will scam you

They quoted me $256 and sent me a paper bubble lined envelope. Not worried about it I send my Iphone 5 to them. Week later check the status and the state I have a power supply issue and iphone won't power on and they will only give me $46 now. I've tried to call and get more info but Verizon isn't about helping customers. They are about getting over on a customer. Use Gazelle or even AT&T to sell your phone.