Trading with Powermax?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2A Batterie, Dec 7, 2007.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Has anyone here had any experience with Powermax out of Oregon? I'm getting ready to trade in my dual 2.0 G5 for credit towards a new MBP (or whatever is the best option after January's Mac World/Expo/or whatever it is) and what to make sure that I'm not doing business with some gainsaver.com scam. Any input, positive or negative, would be much appreciated.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Reseller ratings

Seems like it might be ok, but I dont have any personal experience with them.

3. deboni macrumors member

deboni

Dealings with Powermax

I bought a G4 from them some years back. I asked them for one shown as a BTO option on the Apple web site, with AppleCare, and they sold it to me. It arrived as promised, and worked properly out of the box. But I eventually discovered it had an idiosyncracy in that it never would wake properly from sleep; it always had to be power-cycled. I tried to get them to fix it, for some time, and they ultimately refused to help me or honor the warranty. Apple would not honor the AppleCare because the machine had originally been sold configured differently than they provided it. (It started life as a generic DP-MDD G4 to which Powermax added a SCSI drive system, a configuration Apple was selling, at the time.) So I was stuck. Ultimately, I simply accepted that it would not sleep, and used it until recently, when it died. Now I can't get it repaired, because it's too old.

Moral: Know what you're buying, from whom, and who will honor any warranty it comes with.

4. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I had done business with PowerMax for the past 5 years. I purchased 2 G4 1.25 Mh, 2 ibooks, 1 Powerbook, and in late october, I traded in my last G4 towards my new iMac 2.8 extreme. Have never had a problem with PoweMax and would recommend them to anyone.