Traditional Chinese & sometimes Korean input does not 'live' update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by liqourmaster, Jul 8, 2011.

1. liqourmaster, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

liqourmaster macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook 2008, Mac OS X 10.6.8. My problem isn't so much a problem more than an annoyance. That is, Traditional Chinese pinyin input only shows me Romanized characters until I press 'space bar' whereupon it will show me the corresponding characters of the pinyin I have typed. I have tried the Simplified Chinese pinyin input, and it does not have this problem. It shows possible characters 'live' right by the textbox in which I am typing.

The Korean input occasionally (I find usually in chat room text boxes) does something similar. Rather than Romanization however, it shows me the Korean characters at the bottom of the screen rather than 'live' update in the text box. Only after pressing the 'space bar' or 'return' keys does it appear in the text box in which I intend it to go into. Again, the iPhone keyboard never has this problem, always having 'live' update in the text boxes.
    For Korean, this can be annoying sometimes because I have to press 'space bar', 'return' to get the intended result rather than a simple 'return' and get intended result.

I have attached some photos as examples of what I mean. The top right of the photos are numbered to help you follow with my description.

1. The first photo is what I WANT, it is the Simplified Chinese input. It's the way iPhone input does BOTH Traditional & Simplified pinyin input.
    2. The second photo is my problem with Traditional Chinese input. I can't find any way to make it like the Simplified input. And after I press 'space bar' does it go to photo #3, labelled 'Chin-Trad2'
    3. Now it shows me the corresponding characters.
    4. Example of Korean input MOST of the time.
    5. Korean input showing at the bottom occassionally (usually in chatroom boxes)

Any insight on this matter is much appreciated. Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE OCT. 16, 2011

After upgrading to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, the Chinese (SO FAR), from the 5-10 minutes I have used it, seems to be doing live update just like I wanted it with the simplified Chinese of Snow Leopard. That means we can cross 1-3 off our list of problems if we upgrade to Lion.

Problem with Korean input still very random but might be a Safari problem as Hazel mentioned.

Attached Files:

2. maryhc macrumors newbie

similar problem

I have the second problem as well but for simplified Chinese. For me, this is a problem, and not just an annoyance, however.

When I try to type in Chinese, a window/bar thing pops up at the bottom of my screen and I can type in that box, but when I press space or return, nothing happens-- the characters do not appear in the intended box.

I did a few google searches and it doesn't appear that other people have this problem-- am I doing something wrong?

3. Hazel macrumors member

Hazel

I've encountered an issue like the last screenshot (the bar showing up at the bottom of the screen instead of at the text input field) on only one browser and one website: mdbg.net's main dictionary page's form.

In other browsers, i can type traditional chinese into the form just fine. If i try to do it in safari I get the same behavior as you.

If you folks find a solution, let me know, it's quite annoying. Running 10.7 here.

4. liqourmaster, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

liqourmaster thread starter macrumors newbie

maryhc: what OS are you running? I've never encountered that problem with simplified Chinese before. It's always run like a charm for me.

New problem I found:
    For Korean text, I occasionally get the same problem as picture 5, but after pressing 'space bar', nothing appears in the text box. This is curable simply by restarting my browser (I usually use Safari), but it is a great annoyance all the same.
    It seems there is no cure to these problems and Macs are seemingly not as friendly to the East Asian / Oriental texts.