Traffic Coverage

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by 8a22a, Jun 24, 2012.

1. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Which countries have traffic data at the moment?

2. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

This is just anonymous data that your iPhone sends and integrates into Maps nothing to do with what Countries offer.

3. mikey4020 macrumors regular

I'm interested to know if the traffic information will be entirely crowd sourced or if they will make use of 3rd party data such as TomTom (know they're partners in this). Just wonder how in depth the coverage will be if it's only crowd sourced, how many people use a Turn by Turn app for their daily commute to work for example.

4. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

All I know is during the keynote they said iPhone would send anonymous data regarding traffic. I'm assuming to send this Data they have to be using Maps.

So if there is a road and there's 10 people with iPhones using Maps on it and they are travelling slowly due to an obstruction on the road the 10 phones will send data for this road and slow speeds and maps will know to reroute other users from this road. I think it'll take a while to take off because it's relying on iPhone users and also that they're using maps.

This is my understanding of it anyway :D

5. mikey4020 macrumors regular

Yeah this was my understanding of how it worked, can see it taking a while to become of use to be honest.

6. 8a22a thread starter macrumors 6502a

8a22a

7. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

To be honest I've no idea what WAZE data is :D the information I've provided is my interpretation of the keynote lol

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Waze is listed in the credits, but it is not known what data of theirs is being used. Tomtom and Waze both have traffic data, but who knows if one or both companies are supplying traffic data to Apple.

----------

Waze is a GPS app that provides crowd sourced traffic data to its users. It works rather well.

The problem is Apple also uses Tomtom, no one is sure what Apple is using from each company.

9. 8a22a thread starter macrumors 6502a

8a22a

I didn't until I searched for the app. :)

10. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    Just to get back to the original question though, has anyone really seen this working yet? It might give us some idea if it's crowd-sourcing from iOS 6 users (in which case, there's not a lot of them yet to give much traffic data), or it's pulling from other data as well.

11. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I don't know what countries have traffic info, I would guess that those with TomTom coverage have it in Maps, check this link and see if you have coverage in your area. http://www.tomtom.com/livetraffic/

We can't tell where Apple is getting the data, that's the problem. Both Waze and TomTom crowd source their traffic data was well as pull from other traffic data reporting companies.

Traffic data works where I live and seems to be accurate.

12. rssfed23 macrumors member

I hope they use TomToms traffic data as a source as well. They take it from the various traffic data services/automated traffic detection systems as well as combine it with crowd sourced data. Best of both worlds.

13. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I believe that it doesn't actually require that you use Maps, only that you haven't turned off "Traffic Data" off in settings. And, from how I understood it, they have been collecting data for traffic since iOS 5 was released. Which to me says they have been creating averages for the past year or so for different routes, and now can tell when iPhones start deviating from those averages. But that is just a guess.

14. 8a22a thread starter macrumors 6502a

8a22a

There appears to be none in the UK. Looks like you don't have to zoom in very far for them to show.