Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
It rerouted me around a nasty highway traffic jam and, smartly, took me on the parallel road next to the highway. I know this was a reroute because I often take that same route and it always routes me on the highway.

I was definitely rerouted around traffic the other day. Unfortunately, I ignored the directions thinking the iPhone was sending me the long way for some reason. I ended up in a massive traffic jam due to an accident.

Let's be sure we're using the terminology correctly here. Were you simply routed around the traffic before you ever started out? Or we were you actually RE-routed a different way in the middle of traveling an original route? I think what people are saying in this thread is that they have not yet experienced Maps changing a route in mid-stream due to changing traffic conditions. I have certainly been initially routed around known traffic, but so far I have never seen iOS 6 Maps change my route due to traffic after I've already started driving, which is definitely a feature they promoted at WWDC. On a couple of occasions, I've found myself stuck in traffic and have turned onto a side road. At that point, Maps will calculate a new route and seemingly take the new traffic info into consideration. But it has never taken the initiative and re-routed me automatically in mid-stream the way Apple claims it should.

In other words, has anyone ever seen the popup in the rightmost screenshot below, while driving?
ios-6-maps-1.jpg

Last edited:

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
Let's be sure we're using the terminology correctly here. Were you simply routed around the traffic before you ever started out? Or we were you actually RE-routed a different way in the middle of traveling an original route? I think what people are saying in this thread is that they have not yet experienced Maps changing a route in mid-stream due to changing traffic conditions. I have certainly been initially routed around known traffic, but so far I have never seen iOS 6 Maps change my route due to traffic after I've already started driving, which is definitely a feature they promoted at WWDC. On a couple of occasions, I've found myself stuck in traffic and have turned onto a side road. At that point, Maps will calculate a new route and seemingly take the new traffic info into consideration. But it has never taken the initiative and re-routed me automatically in mid-stream the way Apple claims it should.

In other words, has anyone ever seen the popup in the rightmost screenshot below, while driving?

You are correct. I have never been RE-routed after having been given a route. Come to think of it, I have never seen this behaviour in any GPS system I've ever used.

I supposed that for this to show up, traffic conditions after you started your trip would have to have deteriorated enough, and registered through the system that calculates ETA, avg speed, etc, and evenutally through the push notification server, etc.

I doubt this would show up in anything by the rarest case on short to medium trips. More likely in longer trips, but then again you would only observe it if your were in a very specific set of circumstances:

1. Routing has started
  2. Some event happens on your route
  3. that event causes traffic delays or a transit notification through the official agencies
  4. There is an additional route that would save you sufficient time considering the detour
  5. You care to share your experience on the intertubes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.