Traffic Going Back to D.C.?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MBHockey, Aug 11, 2007.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I recently got a job in Alexandria, VA and am back in NY for the weekend. Does anyone know when the traffic gets back going back to the Alexandria/DC on Sundays? I am trying to plan around leaving NY by 5-6 PM, and have absolutely no idea if that is a horrible time to leave or not.

Thanks!

2. Vuzie macrumors regular

Vuzie

Don't know about traffic on the New York end, but the beltway is almost always busy, especially in northern Virginia in the Alexandria. That area of 495 where it meets 95S and 395 is a nightmare due to congestion, constant construction and all the different stuff coming together. It should be a little better since you are leaving so later.

3. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Well, it's always a gamble with the 495. We were driving on it around 10AM today and were stuck in traffic for a while because of an overturned vehicle that shutdown three lanes. It seemed like there were accidents happening all day long today on 495 and 95S that were causing all sorts of congestion problems. This is when GPS and/or old-fashioned maps and finding alternate routes comes in very handy. As soon as you can get it listen to 103.5 FM WTOP. They give traffic reports for the DC area every 10 minutes on the 8's (i.e. 1:08, 1:18, 1:28, etc). That'll at least let you know if there's anything major happening on 495/95S/395.

In your case it might not be so bad since you'll probably be getting to Alexandria around 8-9PM. However, I'm not sure what the roads between NY and VA are going to be like. The tolls might be clogged up still around NY, NJ and DE.

4. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

495 usually isn't too bad on the weekend, especially sunday nights (when no football games are going on). Stay clear of 66 however... as it can be bad randomly...

I know this is a little late, but hope it helped. How did the move go?

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So how did the drive go? I have to say I really don't miss the traffic.

And where did you get a job in Alexandria? Old Town or elsewhere?

D