Tragic accident....</3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ericksgotmac, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ericksgotmac macrumors regular

My 1TB WD drive failed and that's where I Kept EVERYTHING. It was a single drive so I learned my lesson- Never put everything on one single drive. Now I decided to have a RAID setup but can't find any good enclosures that have both eSata and USB2. I would love having more then 2TB so I've been looking at enclosures with 4 slots or higher, I also would appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of a eSata express card for my Macbook Pro.

So anybody have any recommendations for a RAID enclosure and eSata Card?

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I own this.

[​IMG]

Pretty good value I think. And in a sexy enclosure to look nice with your Mac ;)

3. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

That does look good but I still need something with 4 bays that way I can expand it to 4TB.

4. dannomac macrumors member

Why not fireWire? Connecting to non Mac computers too?

5. nopassn macrumors regular

I'd like to see something with 4 bays and gigabit, if anyone has something they've got that works well...

6. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

Well I sent my 1TB to get replaced, which has FW800 and I thought eSata had Smart Status and would be faster then FW. I need USB so I can connect to other computers that don't have eSata or FW.

7. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

The HP Mediasmart Server was my first choice but I'd like some questions answered.

Can I connect to it using the eSata port on the back or is that just to attach another HDD?

and

Is there any kind of RAID support?

8. bugout macrumors 6502a

The mediasmart is a NAS, kinda.. plug it into your router. Yes it has raid support. 4 bays.

9. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

So how can I connect this? I have a Time Capsule as my router so all I do is connect it to my TC and upload it wirelessly or connect it to my TC to transfer files? I was hoping to to connect via eSata for high speeds transfers.

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The eSATA port is only for adding extra hard drives.

It doesn't support RAID, it uses Windows Home Server Drive Extender instead.

It's a server. It connects to your router (or Time Capsule) through ethernet and will also need a PC running Windows for it's initial set up.

11. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Actually, it's more like...

BOOM!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822155010

Bring your own drives, holds up to 4, gigabit ethernet support with jumbo frames. You can configure your drives as stand alone, raid 0/1/5 or JBOD so everything looks like one big disk.

This is hackable so it can essentially function as a stand-alone Linux box. I have a DNS-321 with Transmission and Automatic installed and it pulls the RSS feeds for TV shows I watch but don't get because I don't subscribe to premium stations or want to watch in HD but don't get the HD channel (USA, TNT, Sci-Fi) and automatically downloads the torrents in the folder I want so that by the next day when I can actually get the time to watch them they're downloaded.

Extremely nice little box.

12. aresinferno macrumors regular

Drobo? 4 bays @ 1TB each. I am pretty sure it manages your back-ups really well by sharing them between all the hard drives so if one fails then no matter, you still have whatever is on the other drives.

Only thing is that it is only wireless/USB/Firewire.

13. goMac macrumors 603

You can do 4TB with two bays.

14. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Think he meant 1TB but with 4 iterations of the data..

15. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Nope with the Drobo and 4 - 1TB drives , you end up with roughly 3.45TB of storage room. Drobo builds in redundancy; if you loose one drive, you don't loose any data. You simply pop in a new drive and your good to go. You can even mismatch the drive sizes and Drobo takes care of everything.

16. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Okay - so that'd be two iterations of the same data then..

17. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

Okay so I decided to get the HP Mediasmart. Now I have a brand new dilemma lol Should I spend the $550 on the newer 750GB version, it comes with 2GB RAM and a Celeron processor. I could find one on eBay for $380 but it's the older version with only 512MB RAM and 500GB hard drive. My only true use for it is storing .MKV/.MP4 for video streaming and I'd probably buy more storage for copying important files there for safe keeping. So would the 512MB RAM/AMD processor be enough for my 1080p files?

18. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Using a single drive, what were you thinking?

I know a lot of people do this. They get a big hanking drive and start loading it up with their stuff.

I would never ever do that so my question is: what are you thinking when you do this?

Are you thinking:
    1. My stuff is not that important so I will just start over if the drive fails.
    2. My drive won't fail
    3. I am immune to drive failure because <fill in the blank>
    4. I will copy everything to DVD. ( A 1 terabyte drive requires about 225 dvds to back up completely)
    5. If the drive fails, I will deal with it when it happens.

Just curious.

19. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Got the mediasmart.... Now What?

Ok- so you got the media smart. What happens when your place catches fire? What if a burglar breaks in while you are on vacation? What if there is a pipe break and the room where your mediasmart is located is flooded/sprayed with water ?

You need to get another mediasmart and locate it elsewhere and then somehow configure them to mirror each other constantly.

Then, and only then, I will be satisfied.

20. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

21. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

woah $1000? $2400? O.O I'm trying to cope with the fact the HP mediasmart server is already $550...All I need is somewhere safe I can keep my videos, programs, and other misc. stuff. I was hoping to share my videos with the 2 XBox 360's, my Macbook Pro, my Uncles PC running Windows Vista, and my brothers Macbook. Shouldn't the HP MediaSmart Server do all this?...

22. DYER macrumors 6502

I backup to 8 different servers around the world (one is located at a secret location on the bottom of the of the sea ) but I will not be satisfied till I have one in every galaxy in our universe ^^ and of course updating instantly :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D