train simulator

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by dawrobel, Sep 9, 2009.

1. dawrobel macrumors newbie

dawrobel

Hey, anyone out there running any train simulation software (ie. Trainz, MSTS, etc) on the mac? I've been trying to keep myself from installing windows simply for the purpose of playing games and wanted to stay as close as I can to running everything from Mac OS. I saw there is OpenBVE but I had a heck of a time trying to get it to start. Any other ones anyone knows of? How is the performance of Trainz or MSTS if anyone has ran them through a VM?

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

There aren't any. Unless you try and cider them. Your only option is windows. Actually try the apple website, they might have one

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Auran had a Beta of Trainz for Mac in (closed) testing in 2006 and had announced plans to release a Mac version of Trainz by 2007 but the company since stopped development of the project. Last I read on the subject from Auran, they hadn't completely dismissed the idea of a Mac ver. of Trainz but they were making no promises...

There's a recent thread on the Trainz forum about the subject.

4. dawrobel thread starter macrumors newbie

dawrobel

cool stuff, I'll try to see if I can get either MSTS or Trainz to run with Cider and report back once I try it; MSTS ended up being ok on fusion, trainz was painfully slow :p

5. imassents macrumors 6502

RailWorks looks pretty impressive (and expensive?). It is a Steam based Windows only game, however may run in Crossover/Cider.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm yea i dont know of any, would be nice to know. i know of train simulator games where you manage railways and stuff, but not the direct simulators.

i imagine the games are quite intense and would struggle on VMs

7. dawrobel thread starter macrumors newbie

dawrobel

I tried running MSTS in Cider to no avail using one of the tutorials on youtube (installing it on windows and copying the game folder over)...has anyone else had any success doing it? Apparently it can be done using Crossovers...

8. dawrobel thread starter macrumors newbie

dawrobel

Finally got around to trying to run trainz 2009 in vmware 3 under xp using the 24" iMac (GeForce 8800 GS, 4GB Ram, 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo) bought in May 2008 and it runs good so far....I didn't try any large routes, but from trying the surveyor and driver mode with a very simple route it ran perfectly fine with no issues that I noticed. I was also able to run Microsoft Train Simulator with no issues using the VM I have setup.