Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawrobel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Hey, anyone out there running any train simulation software (ie. Trainz, MSTS, etc) on the mac? I've been trying to keep myself from installing windows simply for the purpose of playing games and wanted to stay as close as I can to running everything from Mac OS. I saw there is OpenBVE but I had a heck of a time trying to get it to start. Any other ones anyone knows of? How is the performance of Trainz or MSTS if anyone has ran them through a VM?

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
There aren't any. Unless you try and cider them. Your only option is windows. Actually try the apple website, they might have one

dawrobel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
cool stuff, I'll try to see if I can get either MSTS or Trainz to run with Cider and report back once I try it; MSTS ended up being ok on fusion, trainz was painfully slow :p

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hmm yea i dont know of any, would be nice to know. i know of train simulator games where you manage railways and stuff, but not the direct simulators.

i imagine the games are quite intense and would struggle on VMs

dawrobel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I tried running MSTS in Cider to no avail using one of the tutorials on youtube (installing it on windows and copying the game folder over)...has anyone else had any success doing it? Apparently it can be done using Crossovers...

dawrobel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Finally got around to trying to run trainz 2009 in vmware 3 under xp using the 24" iMac (GeForce 8800 GS, 4GB Ram, 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo) bought in May 2008 and it runs good so far....I didn't try any large routes, but from trying the surveyor and driver mode with a very simple route it ran perfectly fine with no issues that I noticed. I was also able to run Microsoft Train Simulator with no issues using the VM I have setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.