Training for an adult absolute computer beginner.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wlh99, Aug 4, 2010.

1. wlh99 macrumors 6502

I have a number of employees that work under me with no computer experience at all. None, ziltch, etc.

As times progress, they now have a Mac in front of them, and are having all kinds of problems figuring it out. The task is that they need to download iso files from a particular FTP site, then burn them to a DVD.

I have given them instruction with Filezilla and Disk Utiltiy to accomplish it, but my training is not nearly enough.

What is a particular problem is really basic computer stuff, what is a folder, the home directory, how to drag files, rename them etc. I'm finding ISO files all over everywhere, and getting phone calls late at night that they followed the steps I outlined and can't find the file they think they just downloaded.

Ideally, I need a basic intro to computers coarse on DVD that is suited for the Mac, and covers the finder, basic mouse usage, what the applications folder is etc. Something geared for someone who until this moment had never touched a computer in thier life.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe the following links might help:

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

3. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

Just curious, Why would you hire people that don't know how to use a computer to do this? Seems easier to hire someones?

4. wlh99 thread starter macrumors 6502

They have been with the company over 20 years. But their job didn't start out needing computers. It's probably eaiser to teach them the computer skills than to train a new hire on all the stuff they already do know.

5. wlh99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did look at those, but at a glance they mostly seem to assume to much. The execption, Mac 101, might be ok if it were on a DVD so they could watch it and follow along.

6. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Check out Lynda.com. If you search around you can find a one week free trial. Basically Lynda gives video tutorials of mostly anything you can think of - software, operating systems, etc.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As an alternative, you might consider retaining an independent consultant on a contract basis to provide training and support. This can easily be accomplished remotely.