Training in an Apple Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymor19, Aug 20, 2011.

1. raymor19 macrumors newbie

I bought my MacBook Pro about 5 months ago. I want to see if I can get a brief training on using Mac OS in an Apple Store in US (since I am moving to US in a couple of weeks).

How can I get such training, if there's any such thing?

Will Apple Store allow me to use their training if I have not bought my MacBook Pro in the US?

What if there's a cracked app on my MacBook when I go to an Apple Store? What will be their reaction? They'd kill me?:rolleyes: sue me? remove the app?:apple: give me a pat on my shoulder? :D

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is One to One which offers training but not for free. A genius might be able to answer a few questions for free but it's unlikely that he would give you a proper training. Of course, you could pretend to be buying a new Mac and then ask him to show you the OS X etc.

I doubt the geniuses care if you have cracked apps. In fact, it's hard for them to even recognize them. Don't worry about that.

3. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

There's the One on One that costs money but there are also other training classes that don't. Find the web site for the Apple Store that is closest to were you will be in the US (here's mine: http://www.apple.com/retail/haywoodmall/) Click on "Workshops" and it will show you what is available!

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u cant be serious, if u can use windwos u can use mac.

5. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

6. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

There are workshops in all Apple stores, but you have to reserve a space a few days to a week in advance. Subjects are about the iPad, Lion, iPod, iPhone, etc. You can reserve a space at all stores online. I've gone to a few and found that if you have additional questions, the Apple representatives are always glad to talk to you privately after the workshop.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Knowing how to use something and being proficient at it are entirely different things.

8. MacsAreBetter\ macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

Hey dude,

I work at an Apple store in Australia, and we aren't formally meant to train unless they have the One on One (ripoff). I show people around OSX when it isn't busy, so I can't see why the yanks can't do the same! Or as the dude above suggested, pretend you're buying a Mac and ask to get shown around. Lion can be quite a learning curve.

As for cracked apps, the geniuses I work with are some of the most clueless people in the world. They're not going to check the integrity of your apps, or even remove them. I've had 13 year olds come into the store with entire CS-5 collections and Musician's Pro Tools, that's like $3000 of pirated goods, the 'genius' just fixed the computer. Heck, dudes come in with cracked iPhones, Installous (cracked app store) and hundreds of cracked apps, most we can do is tell them they're out of warranty.

Hope all goes well, - Mike.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I forgot to mention: if you go to the store website, you can see the list of classes. For example if you go to the site for the Apple Store Fifth Avenue, they offer many workshops including: OS X Lion, Daily Productivity, Mac OS X Tips and Tricks, Mail, iMovie, GarageBand, etc. listed in the calendar just to give you an idea.

Good luck. :)

One-to-One isn't a rip off if you use it right. You can take lessons in Final Cut Pro, Motion, Color, etc.; those classes take elsewhere can cost hundreds of dollars; with One-to-One, you can get 52 classes for only $99; that's a heck of a deal; of course this does sort of require your store to have a competent video software professional, but many stores have at least one to offer the support, so likewise can train.

10. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I love the workshops! I would have done One to One if it wasn't over an hour drive to my closest Apple Store. :( They really need to put one here in Asheville!

11. mark28 macrumors 68000

12. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Productive feedback. :rolleyes:

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

OSx ain't that different from windows. I just made the switch 2 weeks ago and am completely comfortable with it. What do you want to know? We can help you here and we won't charge $99 for it. Plus when I got my Mac they told me they only offered one to one when you by the Mac, you can't get it afterwards. Don't know if that was just bs though on his part to try and make a sale though.

14. OverandOut macrumors member

One to One is reserved for mac buyers for instance, you can't go into a store and ask to be sold O2O on it's own...as you have had the mac for 5 months, the only way about it would be to take the free workshops that are available or try to convince an employee that you desperately need it.

Try mentioning that you've only just found out about it and the employee who sold you the mac didn't mention it.

Apple store employees are only ever useless when they're part of a highly misinformed team. ;)