Training in Digital Video Production (England)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mugs, May 4, 2008.

1. Mugs macrumors regular

Hey guys, Im doing my AS's and Im getting really interested in digital video/media production. Do you guys know any good universities or courses which are around the London area? Im mainly looking for uni's where I can train to go into that field. Thanks a lot.

2. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I actually don't know about London itself... I do remember once visiting London Met to see about a Film Studies course... but decided it wasn't for me.

I actually went to Bournemouth University's Media School to do my MA in Film Editing.... I can tell you the quality of the BA Film courses is excellent. Basically you've got everything in one roof, all the other courses are encouraged to interact with each other, so if you do their BA Media Production course and you're doing a big film shoot and you need a special effect.... you go to the MA Visual Effects course and poach someone, you need an editor... you go see the MA Film Editors (which I was one of) so I've helped loads of undergrads with their projects.

As I recall, the BA TV Production course teaches everything from using cameras, lighting, editing, framing, film styles the lot and I can tell you that most of the companies I've worked with in London most have been to Bournemouth uni so I'd definitely recommend checking that out.

3. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Hey thanks a lot for that! Im definitely going to look into that! Luckily I think Bournemouth is only like an hours drive from where I am (Id like to stay close to home) But could you give me a lil more info bout what you did? Also did you get to work on a Mac because Im hoping to get a new MBP in September or so. Thanks

4. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

i have just stared a media production course in winchester. its pretty good and they are re-furbing their studio over the summer so it will be done for next year. best bit is its all practical and no exams. i have only had to do 2 SA's ( yes i know its not spelt like that! ) so far where as everyone else has loads on. check it out here: http://www.winchester.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/media+production.aspx

oh and ignore it if its tells you that you have to do another course with it, you dont!.
    enjoy.

5. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Bournemouth is one of the very best in the world. I think Cardiff (or some college around about) is good. Kent Canterbury is good. Kingston is good for production design.

6. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot guys this is really helpful! So Bournemouth is considered one of the best? Im really looking to go into editing (FCP, motion etc.) maybe some photography but also maybe a bit of music recording (music engineering). So if anyone knows where all of these could be catered for, i'd really appreciate it. It seems like Bournemouth does but I'm not sure! Anyone? Thanks

7. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

national film school? You need to be seriously good to get in there though.

http://www.nftsfilm-tv.ac.uk/

it\s more suited to postgrad/professional courses rather than undergrad though.

8. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Yep, this course is what re-introduced me to Macs in the first place because its all Final Cut editing (they also have Avid suites). If you don't already have a Mac there are two ways you can get one at Bournemouth.. A) You buy one yourself (education discount through the uni) B) Many students opted to lease a Macbook pro with Final Cut installed... basically you pay rent and at the end of the course, you get to keep it. (you'll have to check the details though)

As fluidedge said, Bournemouth is one of the best in the world, students from all over the world go to Bournemouth, I met students from US, Central America, HongKong, Taiwan, Japan, and even Bahrain.

9. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Hey northenmunky this so helpful, thanks. Could you tell me if there is a course which involves a bit of editing, photography and maybe also music recording/engineering? Thanks a lot, also whats the entry requirements because I havent done media studies but my dad is a camearman/producer/editor, so I can learn a lot from him! Thanks

10. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

you want to look at "digital production" or "media production" or "digital media" or "multimedia production"

this one at kent looks like the sort of thing:

http://www.ee.kent.ac.uk/undergraduate/ug_multimedia.aspx

just please don't go for "media studies" or similarly named courses - go for a technical course rather than some wishy-washy course. Research into the jobs you'd like to do after graduating and then contact those sort of companies and see if there are any courses/unis they recommend and any software packages (like Final Cut vs Avid) they particularly go for.

Also don't feel you've got to do a 3 year degree - there are plenty of good 2 year diploma type courses that teach you all you need to know without the guff in the first year like how to switch a computer on or how to add up to 3.

11. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that, its really useful. I only mentioned media studies cus I thought it maybe a requirement for going to these courses but obviously not, I wasnt looking to do it! hehe Im currently doing maths, further maths, english lit and drama!!

12. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot all of you. I think im going to start looking into Bournemouth and Kent! They both look really good! With the macbook pro im going to buy, is it always best to get 7200 rpm hard drives for video stuff, because I thought I read that the 500gb Samsung would be faster even though its a 5400 rpm drive?!

13. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

get and external firewire to edit video on. Don't edit on internal drives. Store all your project files (music, voiceovers, graphics, lower thirds etc) on the internal, but the raw media files on an external.

so in answer to your question get the large 5400rpm and buy a firewire external with a 7200rpm drive.

14. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

OK thanks with that. Have you gone to some sort of Media Production Uni?

15. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

no i'm going back to uni in september after working as a video editor part time this year.

I've been researching this deeply!

16. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

ok cool, what are you studying at uni? Also where did you work as a video editor? thanks.

17. Sperduto macrumors newbie

Course of video editing

Hi boys,
    i'm Michele from Italy. Sorry for my poor english,but i have only this now.
    I'm a student of informatica. i studied in Milan for 4 years and i finished in december. i want to do a course of video editing (serious not 1 day or 1 month). I want to do a course like a school. I searched in italy in Rome and in Milan and i will try to entry in this course, but i'd like to go outside Italy because i know that in Britain the quality of courses is good and i can learn the english language.
    I had some experience about a set of movie and I bought a new mac book pro for to work.
    Boys i don't know with i have to talk about this problem and you are my guide.
    Please help me. Now I come back to my home in the South Italy, i left my room in Milan and I have to decide in few time my near future.

Thanks for your help.
    Michele