Traktor, Ableton, VST

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by jackmileshunt, Jul 9, 2008.

1. jackmileshunt macrumors member

Hello, basically im a bit of a UK hardcore enthusiast, (ok im a f*cking hardcore manic). anyway, basically i like to use vinyl, but recently have been using virtual dj and a HID controller, but it doesn't seem professional enough for me, so i have been looking at traktor, and i am impressed, as is the case with ableton.

Now what i would like to do is use MP3's, a controller, and timecode vinyl in traktor, whilst having the audio coming into ableton on seperate channels for me to play about with effects, samples, VSTi and stuff. if possible to use ableton for the mixing, i.e. the crossfader function.

basically i want to use all of this great software to enhance my sets, but without having the computer beatmatch for me (otherwise it sorta defeats the object).

also is it possible to use one midi controller for both applications at the same time, thanks in advance

2. headfuzz macrumors 6502

headfuzz

It's possible but you'll need a soundcard with at least 4 ins (2 x stereo for each deck). CPU overhead might be a tad high, but should be alright I woulda thought.

Ableton's crossfader will be pointless if you're a turntablist though, won't provide anywhere close to the required response. For straight mixing it'll be fine though.

As far as beatmatching goes, it's a different approach with Ableton. Tunes still need warping properly before they can be played out, and the less time spent beatmatching during a set the more time you can use to be creative. But whatever works for you.

I'd hate to think that all the times I've played vinyl sets people have come to watch me beatmatch. :rolleyes:

3. jackmileshunt thread starter macrumors member

cheers mate, sorry to be a pain, but what sound card would you recommend, because basically i just want to fuse the traditional methods with new technologies, cheers.

also would i be able to use 1 midi controller for 2 apps simeltainiously (dodgy spelling)

cheers

4. corporation macrumors newbie

corporation

5. jackmileshunt thread starter macrumors member

cheers, would there be any latency issues though, c2d imac.

cheers

6. headfuzz macrumors 6502

headfuzz

Ah.

In answer to your first question, for Live gigs I use an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile. The Edirol FA-66 is worth looking at too, and doesn't throw an eppy if it's hotswapped, which my Audiophile does.

As for your second question, yes, however I'd create your own preset on the controller and transmit the MIDI data to each program on separate MIDI channels, otherwise you'll end up with all manner of weird (not wonderful) MIDI voodoo goings on with signals being to the wrong program and whatnot.

I would explain yourself fully to the salesperson in the shop however, as I can't vouch for all MIDI controllers. In theory they should all let you transmit data from any knob / fader / button on any channel you like, however I don't know if that's the case with all USB > MIDI devices or whether certain programs expect all MIDI data coming in on a USB port to be for it.

Fwiw, I've just checked the Enigma preset editing software for my UC33e and it does allow you to specify which channel each control transmits on.

7. jackmileshunt thread starter macrumors member

ok thankyou, been a help everybody, before reading the last post i ordered a numark totalcontrol and a behringer bcr2000, i dont know if i can use different midi channels for the numark, i do hope so, otherwise i shall have to buy yet another controller for the crossfader and channel volume settings in ableton, but thanks anyway