Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
When I transfer files over my wireless network my logitech VX revolution wireless mouse coughs and splutters to a crawl. I'm guessing the 2 signals are getting in the way of each other? what's the solution?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Are other programs slow? It might be that the hard drive is reading and writing a lot of data and therefore slowing everything else down.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
Are other programs slow? It might be that the hard drive is reading and writing a lot of data and therefore slowing everything else down.

Well, everything feels slow because the mouse is slow. But actually the programs aren't slow. It's just the mouse acting as if the signal suddenly got weak. Once the files have finished transfering the mouse springs back to life.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Well, everything feels slow because the mouse is slow. But actually the programs aren't slow. It's just the mouse acting as if the signal suddenly got weak. Once the files have finished transfering the mouse springs back to life.

Have you tried a wired mouse? Or if you're using a laptop, the trackpad? Are they still slow when you're transferring files over wifi?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I'd try using a wired mouse to see if the mouse is still slow or if it's fine. That would tell you if wireless is at fault or not.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Try a different channel for your wireless network. The mouse and wifi are probably on the same channel and are interfering with each other.

Sebu

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
I also posted this in the linked thread.

I stumbled on this tread after I began experiencing the same problem.

I have a Logitech VX Revolution laptop mouse, a current model Macbook Pro 15" (2.5ghz) and am useing a netgear wpnt834 mimo g router.

Whenever I transfer files to my server over wireless the mouse stops functioning properly (some of the signal is lost, so it feels like it tracks slower, it also misses a portion of the click and scroll presses)

When I originally noticed this problem my router was set to channel 9, on which I generally get the best performance. I decided to try switching the channels, and found that while my transfer rates were a little lower on channel 6, the mouse problems seem to have gone away.

To help diagnose this problem, and hopefully find a more concrete solution, it seemed to present strongest to me when sending a lot of data, although it did still happen to a lesser extent when receiving data. So my educated guess would be that the airport extreme card is putting out interference when transmitting.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I also posted this in the linked thread.

I stumbled on this tread after I began experiencing the same problem.

I have a Logitech VX Revolution laptop mouse, a current model Macbook Pro 15" (2.5ghz) and am useing a netgear wpnt834 mimo g router.

1. Whenever I transfer files to my server over wireless the mouse stops functioning properly (some of the signal is lost, so it feels like it tracks slower, it also misses a portion of the click and scroll presses)

2. When I originally noticed this problem my router was set to channel 9, on which I generally get the best performance. I decided to try switching the channels, and found that while my transfer rates were a little lower on channel 6, the mouse problems seem to have gone away.

To help diagnose this problem, and hopefully find a more concrete solution, it seemed to present strongest to me when sending a lot of data, although it did still happen to a lesser extent when receiving data. So my educated guess would be that the airport extreme card is putting out interference when transmitting.

wrote a big long reply to this, but my computer decided to poo itself haha.

1. the logitech mouse runs (around) the same frequency as G routers (around 2.4ghz). this is probably why there is a log of interference when heavily copying data across the network.

2. ive found channel 9 to be the best channel (best meaning fastest), and 6 to be the worst (slowest). im not sure why, maybe less appliances use this frequency or something.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
FYI, I had two Logitech VX Revos. One did not have any problem. The other seems to have this problem. But the only 2.4 Ghz interference must be my Bluetooth keyboard, or my neighbors, because my WiFi is on 5Ghz N!

The second VX has periodic slow tracking and slow scrolling and missed clicks, no matter how many times I change the channel. I wish it tracked as perfectly as the first one, which had a defective middle-button mechanism :rolleyes:

So I'm sadly returning it. I will never buy a 2.4 Ghz mouse again. It's a problem that might or might not happen, and I can't accept that risk. (Plus batteries are more annoying than cords sometimes.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.