Tranfering Old Hard Drives AND OS to Mew Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by countermike, May 27, 2009.

1. countermike macrumors member

Hi ,
    I have just ordered my new mac pro, and I currently have the late 2008 mac pro too :)
    What I want to know is, I want to save all the time to re-install all the Application i have so far and stuff so..

1. is it ok if I just chuck in the old hdd's( Current Mac pro) on the new macpro and then run the OS from them, with out worrying ?

2. or reinstall all the applications I have on the new mac pro hard drive ( Clean system) ?

will either of these will have an effect on the performance ?

please advice me , thank you in advance

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Reinstalling from scratch is always recommended but you shouldn't have any problems with what your proposing. OS X can boot different hardware confurations off the same boot disk unlike Windows, hence why people have been able to boot off another machine with target disk mode for ages.

Just make sure your system's up to date. In particular, make sure you have the 10.5.7 update installed since the new machines had a custom version of 10.5.6 with added drivers that have now been packaged into 10.5.7.

3. countermike thread starter macrumors member

Hi and thanks for the replies for my question ,
    well I got me mac pro today , put in my old HHD's and started it , it showed a black screen for a while and the restart to the OSX , so everything was fine until , I shut it down and re-started it after few hours , it didnt boot , some long errors and black screen ,

well i guess i have to reinstall all again :(

Mike

4. moez macrumors regular

try restoring from a Time Machine backup. Maybe that might work!