Tranferring iPhone to different computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bronzeassassin, Sep 6, 2011.

1. bronzeassassin macrumors newbie

I'm in a bit of a dilema. My girlfriend wants to be able to sync her iPhone 4 with my Computer. Due to very few space being left I'm not too keen to go down the route of making her a separate account on the system with a fresh iTunes.

I have an iPhone 4 myself that is synced with my iMac. My girlfriend's iPhone is currently synced with her Windows Vista Laptop. Is their a way for me to migrate her iPhone 4 from her laptop to my iMac with relative ease? She had very little music which I already transferred to my iTunes with relative ease.

The ideal situation being that we are syncing two iPhones from the one iTunes/one account on the iMac. But having our calendars, contacts, music, apps etc as they currently are on our phones without interfering with each other.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

If you hold down shift (or is it control?) when launching iTunes it will ask you what library to use. You could TRY moving her library to your machine somewhere and opening iTunes with her lib to work with her phone. Then use your lib still to work with yours.

No idea on merging.

3. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I believe you can sync both devices independently, and you can disable calendar/mail/contacts syncing, and sync everything else.

My advice would be to disable calendar/mail/etc syncing in iTunes and move everything to Google OR wait until iCloud is released.

I have my mail, contacts, and calendars all synced with Google (http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/). It's very convenient, and it means I only have to set up one Exchange account if I ever restore a device, get a new device, etc. It's also really nice to have that data (particularly my contacts) stored in the cloud, where I don't have to worry as much about data loss and changes sync across everything.

4. bronzeassassin thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a .mac user so got my syncing running pretty seamless at te moment for my phone and with the impending icloud switchover I don't have the need for google at the moment.

I'm toying with the idea of freeing up enough memory so that I can just set up a new account for her on the iMac. Just dont want to lose all her contacts etc. Would need to feel 100% confident before I hit that sync button. If I did create a guest account for her. Is there a way for her to get access to all the music on my iTunes or would it be a fresh start. Also if I did have to add music to her iTunes on the guest account (currently got my iTunes keeping all my music organised on an external hard drive) would my music take up twice as much room as her iTunes would then keep a folder for her?!

Thanks

5. bronzeassassin thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so I have went and created my girlfriend an account on my mac. I transferred over the iTunes library.itl file to my external hard drive and used to option key when clicking iTunes on my girlfriends account to choose my library file.

The problem I have that this file only ever updates after every software update so there a lot of music that is not on the library that appear on my girlfriends iTunes and it would be too much of a pain to go looking for that music. Is there a way to save an updated version of the ituneslibrary.itl manually so that I can then try putting it to my hard drive and finally having my same iTunes on my girlfriends account where she can sync her iPhone

6. bronzeassassin thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anybody out there know how to save an updated iTunes library file? Hoping to get my girlfriends iTunes sorted today