tranferring jpgs onto USB stick

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mikka000, Apr 27, 2010.

1. mikka000 macrumors newbie

hi, im using a late 2009 unibody Macbook and I was wanting to transfer form jpgs onto a USB stick. when i transfer the images and i try to open them again from the folder on the USB stick, Terminal pops up and says that I cant open them and says 'cannot execute binary file logout'. why cant i open these images when they are on my USB?

any help?

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

How are you transferring the files to the USB drive?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What's the file extension of the files you're trying to open? If, for example, the pics reside in a compressed folder, the extension could be .exe, which won't run on Mac OS X. If you're dragging .jpg files directly to the USB drive, they should open just fine, provided you have an appropriate app assigned to "Open With". What app are you trying to open them with? Are you trying to open the files on the same computer that you used to transfer them to the USB drive? Or are you using the USB drive to transport them to a different computer?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=881465

4. mikka000 thread starter macrumors newbie

the file extension is just .jpg and i'm trying to drag them into the USB box which appears on screen when i put my USB into the port. When the jpgs are in the USB box, i click on them and then that's when Terminal opens so I dont get an opportunity to choose an 'open with' program. Also, the icon to the left of the file name changes from a small white sheet to a grey box when i have put the files onto the USB. I'm not trying to transfer these between two computers, it's all on the one computer.

It's as though the computer is automatically assuming that I want to open them in Terminal but it seems a strange program to turn to to open jpgs and why it only happens after I have trasferred them onto USB is a mystery.

Any hints?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Open the USB drive (double-click the icon on the desktop) and create a folder in it. Then drag the pics to that folder, and try opening them.

Also, right-click (Control-click) the USB drive icon and "Get Info". Post a screen capture of that image.

6. wickedking94 macrumors 6502

Hmmmm

Maybe your flash drive is corrupt?
    Maybe your files are corrupt?
    Maybe the usb port on your mac or on the memory stick has a bad connection?
    Maybe the memory stick is slightly broken and it loosing small amounts of data enough to corrupt the flies?
    Try a different memory stick?