Trans Intl ram cheaper than OWC

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by steffi, Nov 13, 2010.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

Is there a difference between the ram its considerably cheaper at Trans Intl

2. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

I put transintl in my new mac ? always got OWC before but this time the price difference was to much ?

no issues yet :) and doubt I will see any

some people using the ZDNet overclocking tool have gotten higher using trans than OWC ? apple was the best ? HMMMMMM

I could not overclock my OWC based mac the one with stock chips I could :) maybe their memory is just good enough ? makes you wonder though :)

3. allbald macrumors member

I used Superbiiz for my 3 x 4gb sticks -- and no problems so far either -- about a month old so far.

4. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does the Trans Intl ram support the thermal sensor?

5. allbald macrumors member

Ram's pretty generic -- highly unlikely that the thermal sensor behaves any differently from one versus another. The places pointed out on this thread all use memory with exact right specs specified by Apple.

6. loungecorps macrumors member

7. allbald macrumors member

1. That's great to hear -- other than ECC, unbuffered -- did you verify further specs against what Apple uses in it's own machine somehow?

2. Did you find any 8gb sticks with the same parameters?

8. loungecorps macrumors member

No I haven't seen any 8gb sticks around. I found the ram by searching for the same specs as what owc sells. as far as I can tell it's the exact same with out the owc sticker.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Exactly.

OWC and Trans Int'l are just resellers (no manufacturing facilities of their own), so they get their products from ODM's, and just put their own name on it.

10. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

No idea how RAM is made, but even with same spec's couldn't certain resellers specify to the ODMs to use better materials or use a better manufacturing process to make their RAM?

11. sepu macrumors regular

I already got Ram from OWC 16 GB and now Im thinking in getting another 16 GB.

Do you guys think if I mix Ram from OWC and Trans Intl Will it work? any troubles of doing that?

Thanks.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's possible, but all that usually happens, is they shop for bids based on a simple spec sheet (type, frequency, capacity, timings, ...). Then they go for the lowest bidder (typically contract terms that state if the ODM's product doesn't comply with spec, then they don't get paid).

Keep in mind, we're talking about assembly manufacturing (assembly contractor buys memory chips, and solders them to a PCB); OWC and Trans Int'l don't have sufficient clout to be a design partner with memory manufacturers (chip makers) such as Micron, Hynix, Qimonda, ....