Transcend JetDrive 520 SSD upgrade for 2012 MBA Quick Review

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Tastannin, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Tastannin, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014

Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Thought I'd share my quick review of the new Transcend JetDrive 520 SSD upgrade for the 2012 Macbook Airs that I posted in the original news thread about the new Transcend JetDrive line.

FYI, TranscendInfo is an official company account, and they're being quite helpful in the original thread.

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

My Review:

Attached Files:

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

I bought an OWC SSD for my 2011 MBA but resold it after a month. It ran very hot, didn't exact fit the space in the MBA and was (IMO) likely to be a problem. Maybe it's time to revisit this with a Transcend unit.

4. jmazzamj macrumors regular

Do you guys know of any review/comparison between the Trascend and the OWC? I have a 2012 13" and I am considering either upgrading my Mac or replacing the SSD.

5. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

6. Idiotpathic macrumors newbie

Quick Warning

A word of warning to potential upgraders out there - opening the Air may be a little tricky. The tools are perfect for the job. But if you're an idiot (like me), if you're not careful, the MBA's bottom screws have a tendency to become stripped. I ended up stripping one of the screws and had to take my Air to the Apple Store. They ended up having to pry open the machine and replace the bottom panel along with the screws. It ended up being an out-of-warranty repair that was about $140.

And, after all that, I tried to open my case again - only to find another screw that was a little stubborn and of course, now stripped again.

I am frustrated at my own stupidity and have wasted so much time and money. Will have to unfortunately return my Transcend 520.

7. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^The Apple repair folks got it open and replaced the bottom panel, and you had problems with the original and replacement panels? This is the first case, like yours, that I have heard about.

Since I put in an OWC drive before my Transcend SSD, I had my cover off and on twice (really three times since I ran it with only an external drive for a couple days) and no issues. This really surprises me:confused:

If you're careful and don't force anything, it should be a piece of cake. I've modified sort's of Macs over the years, and I'd rate this swap as being relatively easy. The only issue is having the proper tools.

Lou

8. Idiotpathic macrumors newbie

Well, it was the screws that I really didn't handle correctly I think. Transcend supplies the perfect tool, the P5 - but it just felt like some of the screws were made of wax or something, stripping away with minimal pressure. The first time, definitely my fault. About 3-4 screws became too worn for me to remove. After the Apple repair, one of the replacement screws was already a little worn when I attempted to remove it. It almost immediately became unusable. It's incredibly frustrating because it's just the one screw! I'd like to think that I'm not oafish or heavy-handed, but this just might be the case.

9. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^If that's the case, sounds like the Apple repair may be the cause. I'd go back to Apple and ask them to fix it under their nickel. And, oh by the way, can you please install this SSD while your at it?

Lou

10. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Well maybe P5 screwdriver is worn out so it doesn't make enough contact?

11. TranscendInfoLA macrumors newbie

The P5 screwdriver we provide is actually fairly robust. I have removed and installed numerous JetDrives with the same P5 and T5 with only the outer coating being worn. I have noticed that the screws are rather shallow, so unless you are putting a good amount of force onto the screw driver, you will more than likely pop it out of the screw and begin to strip it. It doesn't help that they also appear to be fairly soft as well. My advice? Press firmly onto the screwdriver and grip it from as low on the screw driver as you can to prevent an excess of torque. :D

12. Idiotpathic macrumors newbie

Epilogue

Thanks for the above replies!

So I actually ended up keeping the drive, contemplating what I should do. (Plus, I was crazy busy with a cross-country move!) I finally decided to persevere and install it.

Today, I took the MBA to the Apple Store to have them replace the stripped screw. They ended up replacing a few more, and I took it back home and tried to open the case again. I tried to make sure that I placed the P5 screwdriver perpendicular to the screws and it worked - except for 2 of them! I then had to take it back to the Apple Store again (visit number 4!) to get the screws fixed/replaced. I brought the JetDrive along as well and wanted to see if they could install it or if I could install it in the store myself.

When the tech brought by MBA back, he could only replace one of the screws, saying that the last screw had to be ordered. He then asked to see the tool I was using and upon inspection, he said that it looked like it was worn a bit, possibly explaining my difficulty.

By this time, I really didn't want to leave the store without opening the thing up and installing it then and there. Initially, the tech told me it wasn't policy and that he really did not recommend me opening it up in the store. But I guess sensing my frustration, he went to the back to ask around. When he came back, he pointed to a corner of the store I could use to avoid electrostatic discharge from other customers bumping into me and handed me a disposable ESD wrist strap. The best part was that he also loosened all the screws for me!

After all that, JetDrive installed! Maybe it was the screwdriver (at least the one that I had) or it was just my own ability, but it was truthfully a frustrating experience. Perhaps I should have called Transcend earlier or have been a little more insistent at the Apple Store initially. Maybe it could have been a much smoother process.

13. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider