Transcend memory

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TFT, Mar 11, 2008.

1. TFT macrumors member

Almost taking the splurge for the Transcend 800Mhz 2gb modules.
    Anybody here has infos on them?

cheers

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wrong heat sink. They'll either overheat or underclock themselves. Go with OWC.

3. TFT thread starter macrumors member

How do you know? The memory is quoted for MacPro After2008 so it should be with thew right sink.

OWC is not a possibility since I live in Europe and getting it through the tax system get to be rather costly.

4. BuzzLightyear macrumors newbie

I bought 10GB of additional memory (to fill all 8 slots for maximum performance) from MacRamDirect. The heat spreaders look very similar to the ones on the Micron RAM that shipped from Apple except they have 7 "fins" instead of 4.

Although MRD put on their own stickers, if you look carefully you can see through the sticker to the one they covered up where it says Transcend. The manufacturing ID from the SPD (displayed in System Profiler) also confirms it is Transcend. See this post for more info. I'm not sure why nobody has posted the manufacturing ID from memory being sold by OWC, TransIntl, etc. in that thread...

5. TFT thread starter macrumors member

Good to know ... now if only I could get a photo of their heat fins.

6. bigbird macrumors 6502

I've got 4 X 2GB from Transcend. Look just like the Apple Hynix and they run quite cool, around 52C.