Transcode to ProRes 422, fastest software??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Ben1l, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Ben1l macrumors regular

I have a bunch of videos that I need to convert to ProRes 422. Compressor seems to be taking a ridiculously long time to do it. Can anyone recommend a programme that will do it faster?

2. codenamecueball macrumors regular

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

In addition, "Clipwrap" It is fast especial of course for just re-wrapping

Try "Handbrake", It is reasonably fast too.

4. strayts macrumors member

What's the native format? Apple Compressor is best, of course, but MPEG Streamclip is wonderful for the price of $FREE.99.

5. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

If you happen to have the adobe suite, I find Media Encoder does a pretty awesome (and fast) job with Prores.

Not free though :)

6. Johnsyounger macrumors member

Multi core

Compressor is configured to only use one core. You can configure it to use more......

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

To elaborate on this, you have to set up a virtual cluster in Qmaster to take advantage of a multi-core CPU in Compressor. Compressor is still a 32-bit application and what Qmaster essentially does is "trick" Compressor into running multiple instances of itself in order to harness additional CPU resources. You can read more about how to do this at these links:

For Compressor 4 (current; sold alongside FCP X and Motion 5)
    For Compressor 3.x and earlier (packaged with Final Cut 6 and 7)

But do note that this is really only beneficial on systems that have more than two physical CPU cores. It won't make much of a difference on a dual-core.

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I just discovered this feature...I was curious about it as last I checked Compressor 4 is 32-bit....is it beneficial on a quad core i7 or would I need something like dual xeon's to really benefit?

9. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Absolutely. If you have a quad-core, I'd experiment with 2 or 4 instances and run a few test encodes on both to see what yields the best performance. Compressor seems to run best for me with Qmaster set to 4 instances on my 2008 8-core. But it may be a different case with HyperThreading enabled CPUs like the i7.

10. nateo200, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I think I'm going to stick with 4 instances...no idea how HyperThreading and Compressor works, I'm sure it'll be fine but I know HyperThreading can decrease performance at times. I'm just wondering if the instances will do 4 threads or 4 cores, if this were something like After Effects I'd just it recognize the cores and threads properly. Hmm I'll dive in with some stuff to encode.

EDIT: Just did a 15 second encode from a 2048x1556p24 ProRes 4444 project that I created from Motion, 4 instances took less than a minute, 6 instances took 20 seconds...interesting results. I honestly though >4 instances would either not make a difference or crash! I wish I had known this a while ago as I spent 18 hours rendering out a Blu-ray stream for a client and it was the most frustrating thing to watch, but I trust compressor to make complient blu-ray/broadcast streams more than I trust myself in Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip.

11. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

In all honestly, Compressor hasn't received a major overhaul in years, so I have my doubts about whether it actually knows the difference between physical cores and virtual ones. That's why I suggested experimenting both ways with a smaller encode job. :)

12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I've observed similar behavior on my 8-core. Anything above 4 instances and Compressor would become very crash happy. But it sort of made sense to me after observing how Compressor behaves on my 13" MBP, which is a dual-core i5. Qmaster clustering is a complete no-go on that one, though Compressor seems to have no problem putting an 80-90% load on both cores on an H.264 encode with Qmaster turned off.

13. josh.b macrumors regular

I set up compressor for 8 cores and it just idles. I haven't tried it on 4 but even if it worked on 4 I would rather get double speed from Adobe media encoder. It has been working great for me. I hope Apple update compressor big time soon because I would like to use it for some reason.