Transcoding Video For Vimeo...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acearchie, Oct 3, 2011.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Hi guys,

I have a video that I have on Youtube (shameless plug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfCYY_rTfk8) that I want to put on Vimeo as well.

Out of my editor the 720p file comes to 2.7GB.

The film is 9:30 mins long and I would like to upload it in HD but I would need it to come in at under 500mb for Vimeo to play nicely.

Have you got any tips for transcoding the 2.7GB file to keep the quality nice but shrink it in size? I have Quicktime Pro at my disposal for doing this.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

You could use Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip to transcode it to a smaller sized .mp4 file using the H.264 codec.

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

For 720p I find the "sweet spot" for bit rate is 6mbps....I could do the math on that but I think that's over 500Mbs...what I do for vimeo is reencode as close to their specs as possible and I never have quality issues. So H.264, and AAC Audio at no more than 320kbps. Also if you think the bit rate is going to suffer just lower the resolution. Vimeo can be picky with resolution and it has to be in 16:9, 2:35.1 or 4:3 ratio from what I've tried....I like to use 1024x576 for things and it usually looks great. I find if I capture in 1080 and scale resolution down properly the video looks exactly the same just smaller and with obvious screen size limits (but honestly you need a huge display to notice). Vimeo compresses stuff way better than YouTube which has butchered some of my finely tuned videos (Ok maybe a 15 minutes 2k video at 108mbps is overkill but still :D :D).

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

It'll be difficult but you can do it. I use Compressor. Get the bits per second down so the resulting filesize will be just under the limit, then spread the distance between keyframes out to every few seconds. For any action shots you can manually set compression keyframes in Compressor.

Also don't forget to compress your audio. AAC is a good pair with your H.264 video. Don't forget if you go mono you can but the compressed audio size in half and still get the same quality.

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Cheers guys,

Found I shaved a load of MBs off by exporting the h.264 as an MPEG-4 instead of a quicktime movie within Quicktime.

I kept the data rate for video at 5,000 kbps and reduced the AAC audio to 128kbps and it came in when under.

Thanks for the quick and efficient help!