Transcoding Video with 5.1 AAC for iPhone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Apple Ink, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I have a *.mp4 video which I wanted to sync to my iPhone.

Firstly, the video doesnt play with anything except VLC on a Mac... quicktime simply replies with the message "An invalid public movie atom was found in the movie" and refuses to budge.
    Secondly, I have a full version of VisualHub and Handbrake. Till date VH has never failed me but all of a sudden it says that 5.1 AAC is not supported.
    Using Handbrake and the iPhone preset results in a disastrous transcode with ghastly sound effects like those in a horror movie... I later gathered that it was the same sound but playing at an extremely slow pace...

I figured that some other software or tweaking in HB might be the solution..

Any help would be highly appreciated...

Thanks

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it seems fairly clear that the file you have (downloaded?) uses odd file formats. i would first try downloading the latest SVN of handbrake, they MIGHT be able to do it for you.

if that doesnt work, use VLC to convert it into something that QT/HB can read.

3. Apple Ink thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Not quite actually.. They are a couple of 'unreleased' movie trailers passed along to me.. LOL.

Thanks for the tip but... er.. How do you convert using VLC? Sorry I'm a noob at this!

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ohhhhh i see hahaha... *sketchy eyes*

hhmm im not sure what format you wanna convert to, so ill let you decide that.

1. open the movie in VLC (make sure no other movies/songs are in the playlist, if you only open the 1 movie then thats all that will be in the playlist)
    2. go to File>Streaming/Export Wizard
    3. hit the radio button "transcode to file"
    4. hit the radio button "existing playlist item"
    5. hit next and select your formats.

if that doesnt work... idk.. email it to me or something if its small enough lol.

5. Apple Ink thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Sketchy Eyes... !! Lovely... LOL!!

Anyways.. what I did was using VH, in advanced audio options I selected it to be pass through and transcoded it.
    Then using iTunes I converted it for iPhone/iPod.... but a terribly boring and long process..... <sigh>

Thanks!