Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irfan22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
hey guys ive had my AIR for about 6 days now and my fan is going crazy. Really loud. its at 6200 rpm.

I believe its b/c im transcoding a tv show at 720p via Plex media server to my roku box. Is this normal? Assuming its not harmful to my computer?

The fan noise is unbearable.

Titanium81

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2011
hey guys ive had my AIR for about 6 days now and my fan is going crazy. Really loud. its at 6200 rpm.

I believe its b/c im transcoding a tv show at 720p via Plex media server to my roku box. Is this normal? Assuming its not harmful to my computer?

The fan noise is unbearable.

Yes this is normal. Fans spin up to keep the MacBook Air cool. 6500 rpm is not unusual for me if I have OS X Mountain Lion & VM Ware Fusion 4.0 and Windows 7 running all with a bunch of tabs open in both Mac and Windows and watching netflix. iStat Pro is awesome to keep and eye on the temp and fan rpm, but your computer is designed to shutdown to prevent damage, if it truly gets too hot not just "feels" hot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.