Transfer 3G to daughter without data - Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KDR, Jun 23, 2010.

1. KDR macrumors regular

Now that I have the new iPhone, I want to give my 3G to my daughter. She has a cell phone with a newer SIM card. I don't want to pay for a data plan for her since she will mostly be using it around the house and we have wifi. It's not under contract either.

AT&T told me that their system will automatically detect her SIM in the iPhone and will tack on a data plan charge. Basically to use an iPhone you have to pay for data, regardless of the contract status. This doesn't make sense. Can't I just turn off the cellular data and avoid the cost of the data plan?

2. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

Go to this website from your iPhone and download the Fake APN. You don't have to jailbreak or anything. Just be sure to do it before she gets the phone.
    http://www.unlockit.co.nz/

3. katiesham macrumors member

Regardless of whether or not she uses the data, AT&T will detect that the SIM has been put in an iPhone and put her on the data plan.

4. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

That's probably true. I'd just say to jailbreak and then install the FakeAPN. That way, your phone won't really care about it being your SIM or her SIM. I've done this before, and it wasn't a problem.

5. Make7UpYours728 macrumors member

Make7UpYours728

i used an iphone 3g for over a year with NO DATA PLAN and AT&T never added a data plan to me.

i used the profile at www.iphonenodata.com to disable cellular data and only used "data" over wifi

no jailbreak/unlock needed

6. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

He's right. My friend "found" an iPhone and started to use it (for a day). AT&T had put the $30 data charge on his bill and his mom saw it and made him return the phone the next day. LOL. :D

7. katiesham macrumors member

*She

But whatever. :)

8. PlaneCrazy macrumors member

Just to confirm a related assumption (i.e. stupid question):
    When I activate my 4, that will de-activate my 3G as a phone, but I can still use my 3G as an iPod-touch-like devise and still access data over wireless networks, just without phone functionality. And no need for any interference or billing by AT&T.

Correct?

9. Make7UpYours728 macrumors member

Make7UpYours728

or pop a sim card in and it will still be a phone also

10. jman240 macrumors 6502a

No longer needed, in iOS4 there is a data toggle switch to turn cellular data off.

Just fyi.

If you go into an AT&T store and argue that the phone subsidy is paid for (as in from the previous two years of a data plan) then you may be ok. Or just keep an old phone around and monitor your account. I doubt they have the resources to scan everyones phone daily and add data plans.

Still, I'm in the same boat. I want to give my old phone to my mom who will never use data but I don't want to land her with a $15 a month add on charge. AT&T doesn't require data on other "smart" phones and out of contract iPhones should be no exception. I know they don't require it because my brother had a winmo phone that AT&T considered a "smart phone" as it was only eligible for the smart phone data rate and not the (at the time) media net rate but he could still opt out of data all together and even block it in case the phone tried to use it.