transfer account thru migration assistant

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nbnbxdnb, May 12, 2012.

1. nbnbxdnb macrumors regular

I have a question before I want to start migrating my account from time machine to a newly installed lion. I did a clean install and set up a new user. Now I want to transfer one of my old accounts from time machine back up thru migration assistant.
    My question is: I want to run migration assistant under the new user. Will that overwrite the current user with the contents from the old one, if overlapped? Or it will dump everything from my old account into different user?
    Thank you!

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

The easiest and safest way is to create a temporary user account on the new machine with a different name than the user you want to migrate from the old machine (or a TM backup), run Migration Assistant as that new user and delete the temporary user account afterwards.

3. nbnbxdnb thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I know it is feasible to set up a temporary user. But considering the amount time it takes to transfer account, I prefer doing it under my current user, so I can do something else.
    Does anybody have experience with this? I used migration assistant before. But it was long time ago...

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Migration Assistant does not overwrite anything. It will transfer the account in its entirety from the backup, and in order to access the migrated data, you will need to login to the migrated account. If the current user and the one you are migrating have the same account shortname, you'll be prompted to rename one of the accounts.

5. nbnbxdnb thread starter macrumors regular

Great! Then I can start to transfer. THank you so much!