iPhone XS Max Transfer Activated e-Sim Service to a new phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by navigates, Dec 19, 2018.

1. navigates macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to transfer the activated e-sim service from one device to another through an iphone backup? Saw applecare replaced my phone which has esim, will the service get transferred to another phone or do I have to go through the activation process.

2. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

3. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

A New QR Code for each activated provider. Isn't that a hassle. Every year new phones come out and if we want to upgrade this QR Code for every provider is going to be a deterrent.

Why couldn't apple leave the activation down to the apple id? I guess that isn't then called "secure" ?

4. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

The implementation process is left to the carrier. The carriers will eventually charge for eSIM activations similar to the way they currently charge for SIM cards.

5. melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

I’m left wondering how we transfer our eSIM to another device?

For my carrier, we all use one QR code, so how does it figure out which eSIM belongs to me?

6. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

So in short if Genius decides to replace the device with esim the service will have to be reactivated. Surely a good move on apple's part as this is a painful process if you have multiple services tied to your esim