Transfer activity to Mac?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by konadave, Sep 24, 2016.

1. konadave macrumors newbie

Is it possible to transfer my activity/workout data from my S1 watch or iPhone to my Mac?

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Nope. Currently, all activity data are locked within Activity and Health apps on the iPhone that is paired with the watch.

3. konadave thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that seems pretty silly.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple integrates Health and Activity data so it must be HIPAA compliant.

5. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I do not think Apple has stated it's reasoning for why Health data are device-locked. So, the HIPAA defense may just be a guess. Regardless, the OP is right-- it is silly. Activity and fitness data are not controlled by HIPAA. So this data problem is just poor design and architecture.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

They haven't and it is just a guess. However Apple promotes and considers their reputation in part built on user privacy. Any breach of user privacy is considered a failure and Apple was severely burned in the picture/iCloud brute force attack. I bet engineers have reminders posted to NEVER let that happen again. So Apple is not likely to allow your personal fitness/health data to be venerable to an easy phishing breach since it would reflect back to Apple.

7. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

You can use a 3rd party app to track your work out and many of them provide a way to transfer the workout data to your Mac. I use Runmeter Gps and it can email a file or link in several formats that can be saved or imported to another software ( in my case Garmin tranining center). Runmeter will also allow you to create custom pages for the watch to glance at your watch for info and progress.

It would really make sense for apple to create a health app or work out app for the Mac to recieve this type of info. They must have a reason for not doing it. Perhaps they are supporting the 3rd party app developers?

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

My hunch is that this will come. Apple will have to split Activity and Health. Activity will maintain its activity data and have export utilities. Then, it will feed into Health. It is data redundancy, but Apple needs to figure out how to export complete geocoded activity data in an industry standard format.