Transfer Address Book data from one user to another?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Julien, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

On my parents iMac I have set them up separate uses accounts. My dad wants my mom's Address Book info. Is there a way to transfer the file or Address Boob info from one user to the other?

2. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

You can export the Address Book file under the File menu of the Address Book program and then import it back in the other user account in the File menu also. Hope this helps! :)

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I would check with your Mum first that she is OK with that... :cool:

4. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

Address book transfer

Enable Root User -and go the that user and you drag and drop it to the user
    >>Any doubts reply me i will explain

5. CRK17 macrumors newbie

No anwer

I'm looking to do the same thing between two accounts on the same mac.

However now I've created a problem that I don't know how to fix. I simply tried to move the address book in account #1 to the users>shared folder. Address book then shows up in the users>shared folder of account #2 but it's simply the account #2's address book. Go to account #1 and the address book in the users>shared folder is account #1's address book. Now I can't get the address book out of the shared folder of either account. I get a warning saying it can't be deleted because address book is being used. However the address book application in both accounts is not open when I get the warning.

So first how do I get back to not having the address book in the users>shared folder and second how do I move the address data from account #1 to account #2?

6. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Okay have you made sure you completely logged out of the other account first, before trying to move the Address Book back to its original location? This could be a problem if you've got fast user switching enabled. Just a sidenote never move an application from its original location like the Applications folder. Once you get it back to where the Address Book app is working properly, export the Address Book file by going to File and Export. Then copy it to an external HD or a flash drive. Then log into the other account and copy the Address Book file to the Desktop or somewhere you can find it. Open the Address Book application and goto File and Import. Import the file you copied from the other user account.