Transfer Airport Extreme Settings to new Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Silverstring, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Silverstring macrumors member

I currently have a 1 generation old (one before the latest) Airport Extreme.

I have it set up with a AT&T Microcell. I only mention that because that process was total hell, and, to be honest, I'm not sure/don't remember what I even did to get to it work (somewhat...Microcells are anything but flawless operation) properly. I do know that I dug into settings quite a bit, changed this and that port or something.

I'm considering getting a time capsule, but, to be honest, I DO NOT want to go through that setup/troubleshooting process again.

I was wondering if it would be possible to save the complete settings of my current airport extreme, and somehow upload them to the new time capsule, so that it would function exactly the same on the networking side.

If so, how could I do this most easily? Thanks for any responses.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Start Airport Utility app and in the file menu are choices to export and import a settings file. Try that. I know you can use this to transfer settings from for example one Time Capsule to another, but I have never tried it between an AE and a TC.

3. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I don't transfer settings anymore. With the 5G AE I did this and had terrible performance. I started from scratch and things were much better.