Transfer all Data from Mini to new Mini Server?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fixmdude, Nov 15, 2009.

1. fixmdude macrumors member

When you get a new OSX machine it asks if you want to transfer everything over from another machine, then you connect the firewire or whichever cable it tells you, and it does the rest.
    I am replacing my Mini with a Mini Server (1TB), and on boot it asks if I want to transfer data from another "Server". I was hoping I could transfer from OSX to OSX Server since it's the same OSX just more options are added, I would understand it it didn't go in the other direction.
    It gives me a blank window with Transfer Your Server at the top and says to select the volume to transfer from (none listed). It doesn't say how I would connect or select the machine from which to select the volume. Is there any easy way to transfer my programs and files over, or not, between non-server and a server version? I could manually share the HD on the Mini and drag over program and file folders etc. if there is no automatic way.
    Thank you.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, I think you have to do it manually. All of Mac OS X Server's configuration files and so forth will be different, so migrating everything would screw things up royally.

3. fixmdude thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I booted up without auto-transfering and then I plugged in a Firewire cable between them and the Mini showed up in the Finder on the Mini Server. I clicked on it, and there was a button in the upper right corner of the finder window to log in as a user for the Mini. It opened up and I just dragged the right apps and files over.
    I wish Windows "just worked" like that. It took me an hour just to find the right driver to install a PC firewire card at work, and then you can't drag apps over. I love this Mini Server. I reformatted it to set the software RAID to RAID 0 to stripe across both drives and the XBench total hard drive score jumped from 49.8 to 87.3. It flies now. :D Highly recommend it, just run an external DVD or BluRay drive off the 5 powered USB ports if you need to.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Great to hear. Just be extra careful to maintain up-to-date backups of the Mini, since you're running from two laptop hard drives with the highest capacity (roughly corresponding to lowest reliability) on the market, and failure of one drive with RAID 0 means you lose all of your data. Personally, I think it's a fantastic deal for a home/small office server, but I'd set the drives up as RAID 1 and put any extraneous media on a FW800 external drive.

Out of curiosity, what is the manufacturer of the drives in your Mini? Seagate should show up in Disk Utility as a model number preceded by "ST", while Western Digital is "WD". I think all of the other manufacturers Apple uses (Samsung for example) appear with their full names.

5. fixmdude thread starter macrumors member

I used RAID0 because I have an Infrant ReadyNas for home network backups out of sight. I got it before the Time Capsule came out, which probably does the same thing. I'd rather have RAID0 for a speedy Mini box up front in the small footprint than have more redundancy and use more footprint with an external drive and it be slower. If I didn't have the network backups then you would be right-on with the RAID 1.

The drives in it are S-ATA: Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, you sounded pretty competent, so I figured you'd have a decent setup with that in mind. Just thought I'd mention it in case, as that would be a major barrier to me picking up one of my own.

Well, that and I have no need of it. Since I'll be living alone and broke for the foreseeable future and won't be involved in small business networking, I'm rather outside the target audience. I deal with servers a fair bit, but always dedicated/colo Linux web servers, and there's nothing that Mac OS X Server can do in the way of web serving that Linux can't do better, faster, and considerably more cheaply.

Hope you enjoy it, anyhow. :)