Transfer all from iphone to replaced HD imac

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3kids, Jan 11, 2009.

1. 3kids macrumors regular

My imac hard drive failed. No data was recoverable and it has been replaced under warranty.

My origional iphone is synched to this computer. Once I install itunes on what i assume will be essentially a new computer, how can i insure what is on my phone goes onto the computer, and the blank slate doesn't take everything away from the phone. I would like to be able to send the bit of music on the phone to itunes. And of course the things that automatically happen like calendar and favorites don't disappear.

What program will send the music from my phone and all the family ipods into the empty itunes library?

2. bmoorhouse macrumors regular

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Were you not backed up with time machine? If so, just restore via time machine and it will be exactly like before. If you weren't using time machine, my condolences.

4. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i am a PC user (argh!) and i wanna find out what Time Machine does, so i'll take a guess...with Time Machine it's basically a hard drive that backs up your computer, and then if a hard drive ever failed you can upload all the files from Time Machine to a new hard drive?

5. 3kids thread starter macrumors regular

Was Tiger, not Leopard, but the shop is installing Leopard and connecting an external drive for Time Machine. I know i WISH I'd had it then. (Someone here can give pc user a much better explanation of what time machine is than i can)

Thanks for the article. I will hopefully be able to use all the family's ipids and rebuild some of itunes. I did have an old back of of purchased music, but one of the kids took it and lost it. So i am back to square one.

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Basically yes, Time Machine is an application in the most recent version of OS X (10.5 Leopard), which automatically records and saves backups to your external hard drive keeping a copy of every hour for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for everything beyond a month, all automatically. And if your hard drive failed, or if you bought a new computer, and want everything copied over to it, all you do is plug in your external hard drive with the Time Machine backups into the new computer, and hit 'restore from Time Machine backup'. This will copy over the data as it most recently appeared on your Mac.

Apple Link

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I guess I'm going to be in the same boat in a little bit. I'm buying a Mac for my wife and will want to transfer all her iPhone stuff onto her new Mac. We currently are using the same Mac for both of our iPhones. I guess I could use my time machines to restore to her new computer and then delete all the stuff that is not hers. But, I kinda wanted her to have a completely new, clean slate.

8. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

oh okay, too bad PC's don't have it haha... and Time Capsule Apple's version of an external hard drive to use with Time Machine, correct?

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Time Capsule is a wifi accessed Hard Drive, but any external hard drive should be able to be used by Time Machine.

10. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

that's good stuff. i'm looking into getting a MacBook this summer.

a little off topic but in your sig you had that "setup" link, and in your theater picture i saw you go to BC High, i go to Xaverian. it's a small world haha.

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Haha, you're dead to me...haha, just joking. It is a small world.

Good luck with any future purchase, we're here with any questions you may have.

12. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

haha we beat you in hockey a couple weeks ago as far as i remember:rolleyes:. haha thanks for the tips homie.

13. bmoorhouse macrumors regular

Actually, you don't need Time Machine or Podworks for this. All you need to do is network your two computers and copy your iTunes folder from one machine to the other. That will copy all of the music to the new computer. Anything else on her iPhone will copy from the iphone automatically the first time she syncs to it.

If the two computers will have firewire ports, starting the old computer in Firewire Target disk mode will give you the fastest transfer. Once you've copied the iTunes folder over, hold the Option key down while starting iTunes on the new machine. iTunes will ask you to choose a library, giving you the opportunity to select the one you just copied over.

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Thanks. Sounds good.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Any reason why the Time Machine drive needs to be external? I have Time Machine backing up to another internal drive.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, 5 of the 6 computer models that Apple makes only contain 1 internal drive.

So it's just statistically more probable that people are going to be talking about externals.

The one BIG feature of Time Machine over many other backup solutions is that it lets you access many versions of individual files. So you can pick your book report file and then look at yesterday's version and then Saturday's version and then Friday and Thursday's version.

(This is why it makes sense for your Time Machine drive to be 2-3 times the size of all your files. The larger the drive the further back in time you can go.)

Many backup solutions are just that: Back ups. You restore the whole thing when you need it. Time Machine is constantly useful, letting you dip into it as you need it. Time Machine "aware" programs (like Address Book) even let you load PART of a data-base, like bringing back one old contact you erased in the past.

All of this stuff makes Time Machine a much more useful tool than 99% of the other backup solutions out there.

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Speaking of Time Machine and contacts...

A few months ago I wanted to charge my iPod touch (which I haven't been using much) so I plugged it into my computer and it automatically started syncing contacts. Well... somehow it replaced some of my contacts with older versions of them (I don't really know why), but I was able to use Time Machine to get my contacts back up to date. It was pretty nice. That would have otherwise been a headache.

18. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This is generally a good feature, but can be wasteful at times. For example, I have about 25 GB of music on my Mac. A few weeks ago, I went through my whole music library and added album covers. The amount of data I actually added to my music library was probably less than 100 MB. However, when I plugged in my external drive the next time, Time Machine had to re-back-up all 25 GB of music.

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's because you modified the files. This is how it's supposed to work. It's not going to just backup the album art because most likely your album art is embedded into the mp3 or aac files.

20. 3kids thread starter macrumors regular

The podworks worked. I saved the music. The next day i tried to synch bookmarks but unfortunately it but the new HD (none) onto the phone. I do have Time Machine now. Is there a way to restore iphone from that to last night's backup?

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I understand that completely. I just think its kind of wasteful. But, I also don't see any way around this problem.