Transfer all info from iMac to new HD on macbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thatdarnfish, Jun 14, 2009.

1. thatdarnfish macrumors regular

OK folks, here's my setup...

I want to install a new, larger HD in my macbook and then make it my primary computer. Currently, I have most of my info on my aging G5 iMac which is slowly starting to fall apart (i.e. optical drive/keyboard no longer work, making strange noises, etc.). I know that, once I put a new, larger HD in my macbook, I will have to format it and install Leopard. Is there a way to then transfer all of my info from the iMac to the new HD in the macbook after I put Leopard on it? I currently have a Time Machine'd backup external HD hooked up to my iMac, if that's of any help. Thanks for all of your help--

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could use the Migration Assistant during the installation process.
    You just need to connect both Macs via Firewire and start the iMac in Target Disk Mode (pressing and holding down "T" after the start up chime sounds and till a Y shaped logo appears - the FW logo) and then the setup process will transfer all your user information.

3. thatdarnfish thread starter macrumors regular

Will migration assistant pop up if I use the restore discs that came with the macbook?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, the Migration Assistant is independent of what kind of Installation DVDs you have.

You can also start Migration Assistant after the setup is complete, it is located in Applications > Utilities or found via Spotlight.

5. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

+1 for Migration Assistant. Easiest and best way to get everything moved over.

6. thatdarnfish thread starter macrumors regular