Transfer already bought apps into Mac App Store?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johannnn, Nov 26, 2010.

1. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Hi

I am just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this one,

When the Mac App Store is released, will I be able to in the store download all my previously bought apps for free, or will I have to buy them again?

I really want to have my apps in the App Store when its released, and there are some programs I feel like buying now, but if I have to buy them again later I was thinking of waiting to buy them

Thanks

2. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

I'm not sure what you mean... are you saying that from now on, you'll only purchase software from within the Mac App Store and not from any other source?

3. johannnn thread starter macrumors 6502a

johannnn

I didn't say that. What I said was that I really like the idea of the app store and I'd like to have all the programs I use in there, as a uniform way to update all apps etc.

4. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

It will be up to developers to decide whether or not they want their apps in the Mac App Store; and then, it will be up to Apple to decide whether or not the app will be permitted for sale in the store. I think the odds of all of your software being available through the store is slim-to-none.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

More importantly, the chances of being able to use th Mac App Store update mechanism for apps not purchased through there are slim to none.

jW

6. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Gotta admit though, the idea of one-stop app updating (like the iOS App Store) is pretty appealing.

7. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

If you buy the apps now, if you need them in the future, just use the install disc they come on. I don't understand why you would need software you buy now to be available through the store.

8. johannnn thread starter macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Read brijazz's response.

9. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I did and that's nice. But is it worth going two more months without the software you need?

10. johannnn thread starter macrumors 6502a

johannnn

11. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Even if apple required MobileMe account for it to work. Then add to the one year trail me accounts that come with new devices.

12. elistan macrumors 6502a

Based on the little bit known about the Mac App Store so far:

First - you don't put apps in the App Store. Devs have to specifically write and release apps for it.

Second - if you already own the current Mac version of an app, there's no reason to expect you'll get the Mac App Store version for free. No more than you'd expect to get the Windows version for free, or the iOS version for free.

Third - there's also no reason to expect that any given app will be released on the Mac App Store unless the dev has specifically said they'd do so.

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I disagree. Your other examples use completely different operating systems as an example whereas the Mac App Store is simply a different distribution. Most likely, assuming App A hasn't been updated between the time you bought it and the time it became available on the Mac App Store, the app wouldn't be any different at all. It would likely be the same exact coding.

I think it's reasonable to expect that if, say, PathFinder becomes available on the Mac App Store, all current owners of PathFinder would be able to download it from there for free. It's the same version of the same application.

14. rjtroester macrumors newbie

It's about convenience

I just installed 10.6.6 and have the App Store as a result. I'm guessing, as others have said, it will vary depending on the developer. But it appears as though it automatically recognizes certain software that's already been purchased. For example, I own Delicious Library 2 which can be purchased from the App Store. When I go to the Delicious Library 2 in the App Store, it says "installed" and I didn't have to do anything to have it register in the App Store. Again, I don't know if this will be universal for all Apps, but it's certainly encouraging.

For those wondering "why is this necessary?" It's not about necessity; it's about convenience. If I can have all of my apps updated automatically in one place or if I get a new Mac, launch the App Store and all my purchases are automatically downloaded and installed - that's much simpler than manually using discs or even individually downloaded programs. Again - necessary? Certainly not. More convenient? I certainly think so.