Transfer Apps to new iTunes account

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hfg, Jul 18, 2012.

1. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I want to give my old iPad to my grandson. He has been using it for awhile and I have downloaded many games and other apps for his amusement, some free, some paid.

Is there some way I can transfer these apps to my daughters iTunes account on her computer so she can continue to support his needs on his iPad?

I don't think I want to just give him my account password since it is linked to my credit card and my entire Apple environment.

Please help... :)

Thanks,
    -howard

2. StevenB14 macrumors regular

StevenB14

Don't think you can transfer apps to another account but you could authorise her computer so he is able to use apps you have bought. You wouldn't need to give them your password and he will be able to use the apps in their current versions.

The downside of this would be that if he wants to download an update to any of your apps on the iPad it would require the password. I'm unsure if it would require the password on the computer as you would have already authorised it. Maybe someone could clarify this?

Aside from that there would be no way they can do anything on your Apple account and would be unable to purchase anything on your credit card.

Hopefully this helps.

3. hfg thread starter macrumors 68040

hfg

Yes, updates are a problem ... I assume she could just start obtaining new games and apps through her iTunes account for new downloads. I am concerned that if she were to ever attach the iPad to her computer and it linked to iTunes, the mixed ownership of the files on the iPad might wipe her iTunes data with mine, or the same issue if I were to someday attach it back to mine.

I thought I had read somewhere (probably on these forums) where there was a way to use the iCloud for a one-time transfer by temporarily combining the accounts then separating again and downloading everything from the iCloud. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate that thread, nor remember the details of how it was done.

Thanks for your consideration and suggestions... :)

-howard

4. StevenB14 macrumors regular

StevenB14

I'm unsure about the combining and separating of accounts.

I think this may be you're best option:

1) Go into your iTunes folder and find the files for the apps you want to give your daughter.
    2) Copy these onto an external drive.
    3) Authorise your daughters computer using your Apple ID (she won't be able to do anything on your account. This will just allow your purchases to work on her iTunes/iPad).
    4) Copy the apps from external drive into your daughter's iTunes.
    5) Sync iPad on your daughters computer.

I'm sure any apps that are already on the iPad won't lose their data in this sync.

This should allow your apps to still exist on the iPad and also your daughter's purchases can also be synced.

Regarding updates: since your daughter's computer will have been authorised by you she may be able to update your apps without needing you to enter the password.

If you were ever to attach it back to yours, assuming you still have the apps in your iTunes account and they are the same updated versions on the iPad, the only apps you would lose from the iPad would be the one's your daughter has bought on her account unless she did the above and copied the apps to you and authorised your computer.

Hopefully this isn't confusing.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Don't worry about the whole password thing. iOS 6 is removing the need to enter the password for an update. Or so they say... Still asks me for mine lol

6. hfg thread starter macrumors 68040

hfg

Thanks for your consideration to my problem ... :)

I have copied the game files from my iTunes folder onto a flash drive, but would importing them into iTunes result in a difference to authorizing my daughters computer and downloading them from the iCloud? Do the .ipa files themselves contain the authorized ownership DRM?

Although there is a fairly long list, most of them are free apps and could be re-downloaded with a little patience. I suppose the paid apps weren't very expensive and could be repurchased if he is still interested in playing them.

Again ... thanks for all of your help. :)

-howard

7. StevenB14 macrumors regular

StevenB14

I think to download them from the iCloud you would need to sign into your daughters iTunes rather than just authorising the computer.

If it were me I would just take a note of the free apps and download them on your daughter's iTunes account. The paid apps I would, as your are, put them onto the flash drive and put them into her iTunes once you have authorised her computer.

This way would probably be the easiest.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have two accounts authorized on my computer -- mine and my mom's. When I want to update apps we got through my mom's account, I have to sign out of my account and sign in to hers, so yes, you need the password.

9. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I’ve been having the same thoughts on this subject for when I give my old iPad to my mum. I’ve concluded that I’m honestly better off putting £25 in her iTunes account, which in her circumstances will more than pay for the apps I wanted to transfer.

Of course it depends on the value of the apps, but I’d imagine £25 ($30) would get most people up and running.