Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Shisha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
This might seem like a silly question, so please bear with me :eek:

I'm about to order a new HD for my macbook and I think that a fresh install of snow leopard is best, what is the best way to transfer installed apps(i.e ilife, final cut etc), since I installed these I've moved and lost the boxes/serials.
Is there a way to copy accross the app?
I plan to put the old HD in an enclosure, is it as easy as dragging across the apps?

Thanks in advance

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Dragging across apps may not work; it depends on the app and where it stores its data. Lots of apps store data in /Library/ApplicationSupport as well as other places. I don't know for sure, but it is possible that just dragging the app over will make it think it is a fresh installation on the new hard drive, and the app will prompt you for a serial number, ask you to register, etc. Or it may not work at all.

Big Shisha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

Will the migration assistant work via USB? Also, can you pick certain apps to transfer? I've installed loads of apps that I don't need/want/know what they are for!

ZBB

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

Will the migration assistant work via USB? Also, can you pick certain apps to transfer? I've installed loads of apps that I don't need/want/know what they are for!

Yep. Here's the steps:

Take your old HD out and put it in a USB enclosure.
Install the new HD
Insert OSX DVD and run the install
When it asks if you're migrating from an old computer or backup, select yes.
Plug in the USB drive and follow the instrux.

I did this a couple months ago on my MBP. 2-3 hours total time to swap the drive, install OSX and migrate everything back over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.