Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wills.Details

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
So i purchased a Mini display port to HDMI cable for my MBP....but didnt realize until after trying it that this only transferred video, not audio. So my question is, how can i get the audio to play on my TV speakers rather than having to just listen through my computer speakers??

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2014
When connected to the tv go to settings-sounds-output and click from internal speakers to your tv

Wills.Details

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
I assume that your MBP is too old to support the audio over the HDMI connector?

If that's the case, you'll need one of these to merge the audio and video:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6331&seq=1&format=2

Or you could try playing/mirroring to an ATV.

My MB is a mid-2010 model so i thought it would be new enough to transfer audio over. It could be the settings as listed below thats the problem?

Which MacBook Pro? Some support audio on Mini DisplayPort and some don't
If your model does, then the first culprit to check is the MiniDP to HDMI adapter. Look for one that guarantees Audio compatibility on Macs.

This could be the issue too..i purchased an Insignia from Best Buy but it doesnt say anywhere on it whether is supports audio or not...i guess i just assumed it would.

When connected to the tv go to settings-sounds-output and click from internal speakers to your tv

I will give that a try first and hopefully that will fix it :)

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Be sure that your mini-dp to hdmi cable supports audio. Not all of them do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.