transfer/backup for NEW MBP.... eventually

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by forrest368, Jan 27, 2008.

1. forrest368 macrumors member

Hi, I am going to college this fall and plan on getting the NEW MBP!:D I have an iBook G4 now with 42 GB of stuff on the HD and am waiting for the new MBP to come out. When the MBP finally does come, I will buy it IMMEDIATELY. I know that the store transfers your stuff from the old computer to the new computer for free. I would like to take advantage of this by transferring everything (3122 iTunes songs, 1000 something photos in iPhoto, and countless papers and pictures) to the new MBP.

Is it best to go thru the current iBook G4 and delete everything you can before letting them transfer? Is there any easy way of doing that? Is there any risk that they could loose your stuff while transferring? I only ask that because my iBook is on its last legs and I could see that happening. I have none of the stuff backed up accept my itunes and iphoto library on my ipod. I had heard, though, that if the music on the ipod was from a CD rather than iTunes they cannot transfer it to the new computer should the old one die. Is that true?:eek:

I am really in need of the new MBP because I plan to take full advantage of time machine with a 1TB time capsule too! Any suggestions/advice you can give is greatly appreciated. I hope what I wrote makes sense to everyone.

Also, how many of you think the new MBP will come out this tuesday, or next? Just curious

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Get a cheap external HD and back up on to it?

3. forrest368 thread starter macrumors member

So no one wants to offer any advice?:confused: Thanks people:(

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

It's the weekend. People aren't on here just to solve your questions. Also, bumping your own thread is against forum etiquette/rules.

Get an external HD and use that for back up. Data transfer always involves some risk, even if it's minimal. Probably not something you have to worry about, but the piece of mind is good. Are you concerned that you might lose your work?

As for Time Capusle, if you're going to college, will you need a router? A lot of colleges and universities supply wireless access on campus and in dorms, so that's something you should check.

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

There's your answer to your Q.