Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
I am having trouble with my MB 2.0 and AppleCare is telling me to reformat. I would like to transfer the documents, pics, etc. from the MB to my eMac G4 1.25. After the reformat I will then transfer back. I connected the ethernet cable between the two and [naively] thought something would show up on the other's screen so I could just drag and drop. How do I best do this? In lay terms please!

Vintage Mac

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
You want to use Target Disk Mode

1) Shut down the MB.

2) Plug the two together with a firewire cable, like you did.

3) Turn on the MB while holding down the T key--after a bit, a big firewire icon should appear on its screen.

4) At that point, it should mount on the eMac as an external disk. Copy whatever you want OR use Disk Utility (or Carbon Copy Cloner) to make an image of the MB's disk.

The advantage of the disk image is that you can use the migration assistant to re-apply all your settings to a fresh OS install.

You can also select "Target Disk Mode" from the Startup Disk prefs on the MB before you shut it down; there are instructions for all this in the Mac Help--just search for Target Disk Mode.

VintageMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Thank you. I will give this a try. Although I have them connected with an ethernet cable, at least that's what I think it is called. It looks like a larger phone connector. Will this work too?

Vintage Mac

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Thank you. I will give this a try. Although I have them connected with an ethernet cable, at least that's what I think it is called. It looks like a larger phone connector. Will this work too?

Vintage Mac

Yes, you can transfer this way. If not going through a router, you may need a crossover ethernet cable, not just ethernet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.