Transfer cassette to digital file... best file type?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FogCityMac, Apr 19, 2013.

1. FogCityMac macrumors member

Jul 10, 2008
    With some help, ie, going to someone to do the transfer for me, I will be transferring a cassette tape to a digital file. I have a couple of questions:

1) What is the best file type to use? I want something that can be played on a Mac.

2) I may need to do some (simple) editing. For example, identifying a segment of the complete tape and saving that portion as another file. Does the typically loaded software on a MBP have something to help with this? If so, what is it? If not, is there an app I should get? This is for one tape and I do not believe I will have an on-going need for this.

Thanks for your help!
  2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

Feb 13, 2011
    Baltimore, Maryland
    16 bit, 44.1kHz WAV files should be more than ample.

You can edit that with "Audacity", an excellent, free app.
  3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Feb 20, 2009
    To add to what Brian said above, it can be _either_ a "WAV" file or an "aiff" file (also called "aif").

Both are CD quality "uncompressed" formats, and both can be easily edited with any audio app.

And again, you want 44.1khz, 16-bits.

NOTE: these files will be LARGE. Figure on 10mb of disk space per minute of recording.

If these files will be "listened to" on a regular basis after the transfer/editing (i.e., music), you might want to consider converting the edited files into high-bit mp3 format (192 or 256-bits). They will then consume a lot less space.